Whether you’re looking for ideas to top a cookie, sandwich between two cookies or mix into the dough, this extensive list of cookie toppings and mix ins are a great resource!
We firmly believe you should top or add in what you want into any recipe that allows it. Baking is a science so it can be difficult to add things in to certain recipes, but usually not cookies!
Here is our extensive list of cookie toppings and mix ins that are sure to make your cookies really pop or make them your own!
The Traditional Mix in or Topping
These are the things you might traditionally think of when wanting to add cookie toppings and mix ins into or onto your cookies.
- Sanding Sugar
- Icing Sugar
- candy pearls
- Chocolate Chips
- chopped nuts (think almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamia, peanuts, pistachios)
- hershey’s kisses
These are the ones that can not only be fun and interesting to add to your cookies, but can also elicit great flavor you didn’t have there before.
- mini marshmallows
- shredded coconut
- dried fruit
- crystalized ginger
- chopped caramel candies
- crushed cookies
- crushed hard candy or candy canes
- candy coasted chocolate pieces (like MnM’s)
- edible glitter or shimmer
- melted candy wafers drizzled across the tops
- breakfast cereal
- jelly beans
Unique Cookie Toppings and Mix Ins
These are the interesting and unique ingredients that sometimes add a wow factor to your cookie recipe you didn’t have before.
- candied bacon
- crumbled potato chips
- pretzel pieces
- chopped candy bars
- dried cranberries or cherries or any other dried fruit
- oats (possibly soften before adding to cookie dough to retain softness)
- a dusting of powdered sugar
- dried herbs
- coffee beans – whole, crushed or chocolate covered
Do you add something special either into or onto your cookies that we don’t have listed here? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Recipe Ideas That Use These Some of these Cookie Toppings and Mix Ins
If you make one of our recipes, please let us know! Tell us in the comments or you can take a photo and share it, tagging us on instagram, facebook or twitter with #dailydishrecipes. We love seeing your creations!