We love a good layer salad recipe at our house. For a number of reasons. You can change them up per taste or event, they are filled with delicious ingredients and are easy to make.
I found this 7 layer salad recipe in my grandmother’s recipe box. My grandmother cut it out of some incredibly ancient magazine. I really couldn’t tell you which magazine, but I can tell you this salad is very tasty. We’ve made it a lot as is, but we also change it up occasionally.
Why You’ll Love This 7 Layer Salad
- This salad is amazing as is, but can also basically be a starting point to jump off with allowing you to add the things you love in a layered salad.
- You can add more veggies, take away veggies, add different dressings, cheeses, meats, etc. (see below for loads of ideas)
- Flavorful, easy and definitely feeds a crowd or can be served as a simple salad for your weeknight dinner.
More Ideas for Layers
There are dozens of ways to take this salad to different levels, have different flavors and more.
- change the lettuce to spinach or kale
- chopped cucumbers
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped celery
- mozzarella cheese balls or grated parmesan
- spices or seasonings
- chopped deli meats, like salami, ham or turkey
- fresh oregano or basil
- mini shrimp
- fresh fruit like sliced grapes, berries or citrus
You can put whatever you want to in it for more flavor. Don’t be afraid to get creative to make this salad your own.
We’ve been eating this for years and I see it often brought to events and served, so it’s clearly a popular layer salad recipe.
It’s perfect for bring your own dish, (BYO), potlucks and other group get-togethers. It’s perfect for a crowd.
This is a classic dish that has been around for a lot of years, and I just bet you’ve had it before.
Why not make it again? It’s a great dish to feed a big crowd at any large get together.
Additional Salad Recipes
If you make our recipe, please let us know! Tell us in the comments or you can take a photo and share it, tagging us on instagram, facebook or twitter with #dailydishrecipes. We love seeing your creations!
7 Layer Salad Recipe
- 1 head lettuce torn into smaller pieces
- 1 cup onion sliced or chopped
- 10 ounces peas
- 6 hard-boiled eggs diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise or choose your own dressing
- 1 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 8 slices bacon crumbled
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Using a trifle bowl or something similar, layer the ingredients as follows: lettuce, onion, peas, and eggs.
- In a bowl, mix together mayo and garlic powder. Spread the dressing over the salad. Add a layer of bacon (we usually crumble it into smaller pieces, but strips will work too).
- Cover the entire thing with the package of cheese.
- Use tinfoil to cover the dish. Chill overnight.
- Before serving, add a few pinches of salt and pepper, according to taste.