We love a good layer salad recipe at our house. For a number of reasons. You can change them up per taste or event, they are filled with delicious ingredients and are easy to make.
I found this 7 layer salad recipe in my grandmother’s recipe box.
My grandmother cut it out of some incredibly ancient magazine.
I really couldn’t tell you which magazine, but I can tell you this salad is very tasty.
We’ve made it a lot as is, but we also change it up occasionally.
First, I am basically giving you a starting point to jump off with, regarding this layer salad recipe.
You can put whatever you want to in it for more flavor. Add veggies, take away veggies, add meat or cheeses, etc.
Play with herbs, spices and seasonings – even dressings until you get the 7 Layer Salad recipe you and your family love.
We’ve been eating this for years and I see it often brought to events and served, so it’s clearly a popular layer salad recipe.
What would you change or add to it? I’m curious! Tell me in the comments below!
We do occasionally change it to spinach or another type of lettuce or layer a few together.
It’s perfect for bring your own dish, (BYO), potlucks and other group get-togethers. It’s perfect for a crowd.
This is a classic dish that has been around for a lot of years, and I just be you’ve had it before.
Why not make it again? It’s a great dish to feed a big crowd at any large get together.
Recipe for 7 Layer Salad
7 Layer Salad Recipe
- 1 head Lettuce torn into smaller pieces
- 1 cup sliced or chopped onion
- 1 10 ounce package peas
- 6 hard-boiled eggs diced
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or choose your own dressing
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 8 slices crisp bacon crumbled
- 1 8 ounce package shredded cheddar cheese
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Using a trifle bowl or something similar, layer the ingredients as follows: lettuce, onion, peas, and eggs.
- In a bowl, mix together mayo and garlic powder. Spread the dressing over the salad. Add a layer of bacon (we usually crumble it into smaller pieces, but strips will work too).
- Cover the entire thing with the package of cheese.
- Use tinfoil to cover the dish. Chill overnight.
- Before serving, add a few pinches of salt and pepper, according to taste.