I cannot even tell you how much fun it was to prepare for This Week’s Cravings theme this week. Chocolate. I mean, come on, chocolate? Definitely. I have four daughters, trust me we love chocolate. I tried a few recipes to figure out what I wanted to make this week, so I have more delicious chocolate related recipes to share in upcoming weeks, but this week it’s the Triple Chocolate Cupcakes covered in a rich, dark chocolate ganache. Yum! We chose these cupcakes due to the theme being Chocolate Cubed, why not make some cupcakes that are chocolate cubed – ha!
Did you know that the 3rd week of March is American Chocolate Week? Yeah, I didn’t either but if there is a holiday to celebrate chocolate, and especially one that celebrates it for a week straight, who am I to complain? Right? Right. Don’t argue with a woman and her chocolate!
I’m going to make this easy, because you have to start with a basic chocolate cake mix. I have one I use as just my basic chocolate cake – you know – the kind you can make for any occasion and dress up or down. I strongly suggest trying mine because its the one I used for these and I can testify to how delicious it is. We used this chocolate cake recipe.
Let’s get down to business, now.
- Basic Chocolate Cake Mix Recipe, prepare the batter
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 c. cold whole milk
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate, chopped or 1 c. chocolate chips
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 14-16 liners in muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the batter of whatever recipe you chose for your chocolate cake batter.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk, chocolate pudding mix and the chocolate chips until blended. Set aside.
- Spoon the chocolate cake batter into muffin tins about ⅔rds of the way full. You should have enough batter for about a dozen and a half cupcakes.
- Scoop a spoonful of the chocolate pudding mixture on top of each cupcake. Just leave it there on top, don't mess with it or try to push it down.
- Bake for about 20-24 minutes. (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean)
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before adding the chocolate ganache.
- Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, as it's starting to bubble, but not froth, pour the chopped chocolate in and then whisk until nice and smooth.
- Remove from stove and allow to cool for about 10-20 minutes before pouring onto the cupcakes.
- I cannot even begin to tell you how delicious these cupcakes are!