We made this recipe up ourselves one evening in the kitchen when we had a can of pumpkin and we were making our french toast casserole recipe. We decided that for a Fall treat, it would be nice to make it pumpkin pie french toast and so this recipe was born. I’ve tried it a couple of different ways since we first made it, but this is the easiest and tastiest way to make it. This makes one casserole, but we double it to make two. (remember I’m feeding five hungry teenagers here.)
Overnight Pumpkin French Toast Casserole Recipe
- ½ cup Butter
- 12 slices White Bread
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ – ½ cup pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 5 eggs
- 1½ cup Milk
- Melt the margarine and pour into a 9×13 pan.
- Mix the brown sugar and the pumpkin spice seasoning.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla together.
- Layer 6 pieces of bread into the casserole dish.
- Spread a thin layer of pumpkin (as if you were buttering a piece of bread) on each of the six slices of bread.
- Next, sprinkle half of the brown sugar and pumpkin spice mixture over the top of the pumpkin that is spread on the bread.
- Now repeat all steps again – layer the rest of the bread on top, then the pumpkin, the rest of the topping.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of all of it and then sprinkle the remaining brown sugar/pumpkin spice mixture over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 4-8 hours. Honestly, the longer the better. In the morning, cover the dish with tinfoil and bake in a 350 degree over for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover the dish and bake an additional 15 more minutes. It should be golden and set.
- Remove from oven and serve hot. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar if you want. This can also be served with syrup, butter, whipped cream or just eaten plain. It is delicious!
P.S. We are going to try it with some other “flavors” and I will let you know what we come up with, that actually works and tastes good. In the meantime, you can also try this great Pineapple French Toast Recipe .