This Sonic Ocean Water Recipe Copycat, is an an easy summer drink to keep you refreshed on the hottest days. A nice tropical coconut drink, with a beautiful blue tint. With only 4 ingredients, you’ve got a great drink for a crowd.
It is the perfect non alcoholic drink for fourth of July celebrations, fun and festive pool party recipes or just a great drink to mix up for a picnic or barbecue!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Lemon Lime Soda – Sprite and Sierra Mist are our favorites. Both taste perfect with it. We tried it with 7-up and it didn’t have the same flavor but wasn’t bad. An off brand would probably be okay too.
- Coconut Extract: This is easily found near the extracts at the grocery store. Or you can buy it straight off Amazon – this one is our favorite (inexpensive and tastes amazing) Add as little or as much as you want, but start slow with the amount listed first.
- Granulated Sugar: You need such a minimal amount of this, we often just skip it. If you want to substitute a sugar substitute, feel free to add what you like best.
- Blue Food Coloring: You don’t have to use Blue Food Coloring, but you won’t have the pretty Ocean Water Color. As a natural substitute, we sometimes use Butterfly Pea Flower Extract. We use it in a lot of drinks for fun!
Making Sonic Ocean Water for a Party
We have served this drink at many a party. It’s an inexpensive yet totally fun addition to the menu.
If you want to make a large batch for a party, use these measurements:
- Two 2 liter bottles of Sprite or Sierra Mist
- 4 tablespoons coconut extract
- sugar to taste
- blue food coloring or butterfly pea flower extract, to desired color
Please Note: This makes approximately one gallon of Sonic Ocean Water
To make: Pour sprite into a one gallon drink dispenser. (the one linked is the one we have and it’s amazing!) Add the coconut extract, any sugar you’d like and your coloring.
You will obviously need a bit more coloring to get a good blue, but go slow and stir as you go to evenly distribute the extract, sugar and coloring. Add ice.
For even more fun, include maraschino cherries, Swedish Fish or Sliced Strawberries on skewers for your guests.
If you love this recipe, but you aren’t ready to make it right this moment, why don’t you pin it to save it for later?