A sweet, tart, refreshing cocktail, made extra special! Rhubarb Elderberry Cocktail is a unique addition for any holiday or event! The color is amazing!
Why You Should Try This Rhubarb Elderberry Cocktail
- Very simple to make, even making the rhubarb simple syrup is easy.
- When it comes down to it, this is a better for you cocktail, rather than a standard cocktail because of the addition of Elderberry. (more info below)
- This is a great cocktail for when you aren’t feeling the best. It’s thought to help with colds and flu, but even if it doesn’t, it tastes great!
- It has a great floral berry flavor with a gorgeous color and delicious flavor.
Life is stressful, and sometimes at the end of a particularly stressful day, we deserve something special, something unique, something a little different than the norm.
That’s where this lovely Rhubarb Elderberry Cocktail comes in. Such a simple, floral cocktail that just screams calm and relaxing.
What does Elderberry taste like?
Depending on the brand of syrup or extract you buy, you’ll taste a sweet, tangy flavor that is reminiscent of blackberries.
We used Norm’s Farms Elderberry Extract for this recipe and honestly, we tried an elderberry syrup and much preferred the Elderberry Extract flavor over the syrup.
What does Rhubarb taste like?
So by itself, it’s unpleasantly sour and tangy and almost unpalatable, but mix up a simple syrup with sugar and you can get a sweet, tangy flavor that compliments almost any berry recipe.
It works well in this recipe because it coincides with the tart and tangy flavor of the elderberry syrup.
According to WebMD,
“The berries and flowers of elderberry are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that may boost your immune system. They could help tame inflammation, lessen stress, and help protect your heart, too. Some experts recommend elderberry to help prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms.”WebMD
Recipe Ideas That Compliment the Rhubarb Elderberry Cocktail
If you make our recipe, please let us know! Tell us in the comments or you can take a photo and share it, tagging us on instagram, facebook or twitter with #dailydishrecipes. We love seeing your creations!
Rhubarb Elderberry Cocktail Tips & Suggestions
- Rhubarb Simple Syrup can be made up ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight jar for about a month.
- Sweetener can be added to taste at the end. Try sugar, honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar or agave nectar.
- Fruit – We added strawberry simple syrup the most recent time that we made this and it was delicious. So try different fruit flavors as a twist.
- No Alcohol – If you would rather make this into a mocktail, you can certainly omit the rum, and instead either replace with a splash of rum extract or add another flavor like vanilla instead. (our favorites have been linked)
Rhubarb Elderberry Cocktail Recipe
Rhubarb Elderberry Cocktail
For Rhubarb Juice:
- 1 pounds rhubarb rinsed and chopped (12-13 stalks of rhubarb)
- 12 ounces water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
For Each Cocktail:
- 3 tablespoons rhubarb juice
- 1½ ounces rum
- .5 ounce Norm’s Farms Elderberry Extract
- Club soda
To Make Rhubarb Juice:
- Combine rhubarb, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and strain thoroughly. The easiest way to get all the rhubarb flavor is to use a spoon and press the juices from the pulp in the strainer. Allow to cool. Store rhubarb juice for future cocktails in sealed jar in refrigerator for up to 10 days or start preparing cocktail when cool.
For Each Cocktail:
- Stir the rhubarb juice with the rum and elderberry extract. Add ice cubes and top with club soda.
Love Rhubarb? Find more great Rhubarb cocktails!