Welcome to this week’s Sunday Supper theme – Cowboy Cooking. What exactly IS Cowboy Cooking? Honestly it’s just what it sounds like – cooking for cowboy’s. A true cowboy cooked with what they had readily available to them. This of course was beef. And the best beef out there to use? Certified Angus Beef of course! And that’s what we are celebrating this week and I’ve brought along this awesome Open Faced Steak Sandwich!
I feel lucky because Certified Angus Beef is commonly available in my area. My favorite grocery store, Schnucks ALWAYS has the best cuts. My favorite restaurants in the area also serve Certified Angus Beef, and one of those restaurants is Mattingly’s Sports Bar and Grill. Mattingly’s has a special on their menu known as Matt’s Steak Special and is described as “a center cut Certified Angus Beef Ribeye seasoned and grilled, served atop cheese garlic bread and topped with an onion ring.” This sandwich is a customer favorite and one of mine. So I decided to make my own slightly different version at home.The first thing I knew I was going to swap out was that onion ring. I wanted wonderfully caramelized onions. I knew they would add some wonderful flavor to the sandwich. I tossed in some garlic butter mushrooms. I also opted out of the cheese garlic bread and instead added chopped cheese to the top, which melted before eating. I also added chopped basil, because I have an enormous amount growing in my garden.
Of course this became “Nicole’s Steak Special” at this point and since I knew that wouldn’t mean much to anyone else, I renamed it Open Faced Steak Sandwich because honestly that’s exactly what it is.
Feel free to make up some brown gravy to serve over the top. We do sometimes, but this night there was just enough flavor by itself to be wonderful. It’s all a personal choice.
Looking for more great cowboy cooking recipes? Scroll down and you’ll have a whole plethora of them at your fingertips. Enjoy!
More Sunday Supper Cowboy Cooking Recipes
Beefed Up Main Dishes
- BBQ Beef Mac and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Chuckwagon Beef Stew by The Chef Next Door
- Cowboy Chili (Easy Texas Red Chili) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Cowboy Sushi by NinjaBaker.com
- Grilled Beef Skewers by The Freshman Cook
- Healthier Baked Italian Meatballs by Hardly A Goddess
- Hearty Steak and Black Bean Chili on Rice by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Steak and Egg Hash by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cowboy Burgers by Home Sweet Homestead
- Grilled Butter Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Open Faced Steak Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Steak Sandwiches by Restless Chipotle
- Barbecue Beef Skillet Cornbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef and Cabbage Bake by Our Good Life
- Cowboy Nachos by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker Cowboy Baked Beans by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chicken Fried Ribeye by Life Tastes Good
- Curry Chili Rubbed Sirloin Steak by Food Done Light
- Grilled Porterhouse with Foil Pouch French Onion Green Beans by Sunday Supper Movement
- Paleo Salisbury Steak by Cricket’s Confections
- Ribeye & Scallops with Beer-Butter Sauce by Gourmet Everyday
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement