These DIY Dog Treats are the homemade way to your dogs heart. They love them, and you can do all sorts of fun things with them.
When I came to the Letter D for the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I had all sorts of ideas.
Then I realized it might be fun to do something for the Dogs.
Why not do some DIY Dog Treats. Homemade dog treats are fun to make and the dogs love them.
I have a Shih-tzu, a PomkiePoo (Pomeranian, Yorkie and Poodle mix) and my big baby Finn, a Pitt mix.
Then my BFF has 3 dogs (a Chihuahua, a shih-tzu (from our litter) and a mix). I have plenty of dogs to spoil.
We often make our own homemade dog food, just to make sure they are getting a balanced diet.
With all the pet food recalls I get nervous sometimes. I want to make sure my dogs don’t get sick.
So yes, I take my time out to make them food.
Yes, from scratch. Yes it takes some time.
But they love it and they are happier and healthier because of it.
With my fear of the pet food recalls, I am always hesitant to buy dog treats that way as well.
So I decided to try my hand at making my own homemade version and I have dozens of different recipes for them.
But then I stumbled upon this two ingredient DIY Dog Treat recipe and I knew it was the one I’d make the most.
It originally called for baby food and that’s all fine and dandy, but even that I made homemade.
Just pureed my own vegetables.
You can do it either way and they will turn out great.
Have you made Homemade Dog Treats?
I included a rather gross looking photo of the dough when it was done mixing.
The reason I did this, is because it doesn’t look like typical dough and I don’t want you to think you are doing it wrong.
It’s very sticky, so if you need to, add a bit more flour until it is easy to roll out.
I used two different sized cookie cutters, one for the larger dogs and one for the smaller dogs.
Somewhere around here I actually have a dog bone cookie cutter.
I couldn’t find it that day so I went with hearts.
I like hearts and the dogs don’t really care what they look like. ha!
Are you ready to make your own DIY Dog Treats?
DIY Dog Treats - Two Ingredients
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 4 oz. jars of any flavor pureed baby food I used 1 cup of homemade carrot puree
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour with the pureed veggies (or baby food) to form a stiff dough. If it's too sticky add flour. If it's too stiff, add some water.
- Lightly flour your work space and roll out the dough until it's about ¼" thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the treats about ¼" inch apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- We store ours in a dog cookie canister and it sometimes makes the cookies softer but the dogs like them that way.
- If you want them to stay hard, you might want to store them in a paper bag.
- They keep for up to two weeks.
See more great dog treat and food ideas here.