How much fun is it to reminisce about days gone by? It’s called memories, and we love them, we crave them and they take us back to a place that was both comforting and safe. Sometimes a memory can be triggered by a smell, or something we see, reminds us of something else. But for someone like me, it’s food memories. Memories of foods from my past always elicit warmth and comfort that seem to reach right down to my soul. This week’s theme is a “Retro Recipes” theme! It has been so much fun seeing the titles of the other participants and seeing what everyone is sharing. I’ll be super honest, I had no idea what made a recipe retro, but figured if it was supposed to date back to my childhood, I was sure I could come up with something. What’s more retro than Coca-Cola®?
I chose Coca-Cola® Cupcakes to share with you today, because they are not only retro but because someday these will be a memory for my own children – a food that will bring them back to a time that is comforting. The funniest part of this recipe, is that I never did eat Coca-Cola® Cake (or cupcakes) as a child. And *gasp* I have a little confession… I don’t actually like them that much. I know, I know, right? But my kids do. And will happily devour half a cake in one sitting, anytime I make it for them. My friends do too. Even my neighbors do.
I think I’ve just been spoiled by this cake, (which is my very favorite cake in the world) because it’s just not the same – it’s probably not a retro cake, but it’s a HUGE part of my childhood.
Today I decided to do Coca-Cola® cupcakes and pop them in a jar because they are just easier to serve and handle and well, because my kids will be taking these to school with them this week and I wanted them to be convenient to take. Nothing worse than getting to school, opening your lunch and finding a smashed piece of Coca-Cola® Cake or a cupcake in your lunchbox. Nope. So cupcakes in a jar it is.
And apparently cupcakes with Coca-Cola® because well, what would a retro recipe be, without Coca-Cola®?
I guess it would be a retro recipe without Coca-Cola®… anyway. Moving on.
You should see all the great recipes on the Coca-Cola® Website too … you can make all sorts of things with it – who knew? I don’t typically cook with Coca-Cola®, but if I ever decide to again, I know where to go. Awesome. So, about those cupcakes. Here’s how to make them.
Are you ready for some great retro recipes? Take a look at what the Sunday Supper group is sharing today:
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts