Coca Cola Cupcakes | Retro Recipes
Take a little retro flashback to these fun coca cola cupcakes, a recipe that will take you back to your childhood!
How much fun is it to reminisce about days gone by? It’s called memories, and we love them, we crave them and they take us back to a place that was both comforting and safe. Sometimes a memory can be triggered by a smell, or something we see, reminds us of something else. But for someone like me, it’s food memories.
Memories of foods from my past always elicit warmth and comfort that seem to reach right down to my soul. This week’s theme is a “Retro Recipes” theme! It has been so much fun seeing the titles of the other participants and seeing what everyone is sharing.
I’ll be super honest, I had no idea what made a recipe retro, but figured if it was supposed to date back to my childhood, I was sure I could come up with something. What’s more retro than Coca-Cola®?
I chose Coca-Cola® Cupcakes to share with you today, because they are not only retro but because someday these will be a memory for my own children – a food that will bring them back to a time that is comforting. The funniest part of this recipe, is that I never did eat Coca-Cola® Cake (or cupcakes) as a child. And *gasp* I have a little confession… I don’t actually like them that much. I know, I know, right? But my kids do. And will happily devour half a cake in one sitting, anytime I make it for them. My friends do too. Even my neighbors do.
I think I’ve just been spoiled by this cake, (which is my very favorite cake in the world) because it’s just not the same – it’s probably not a retro cake, but it’s a HUGE part of my childhood.
Today I decided to do Coca-Cola® cupcakes and pop them in a jar because they are just easier to serve and handle and well, because my kids will be taking these to school with them this week and I wanted them to be convenient to take. Nothing worse than getting to school, opening your lunch and finding a smashed piece of Coca-Cola® Cake or a cupcake in your lunchbox. Nope. So cupcakes in a jar it is.
And apparently cupcakes with Coca-Cola® because well, what would a retro recipe be, without Coca-Cola®?
I guess it would be a retro recipe without Coca-Cola®… anyway. Moving on.
You should see all the great recipes on the Coca-Cola® Website too … you can make all sorts of things with it – who knew? I don’t typically cook with Coca-Cola®, but if I ever decide to again, I know where to go. Awesome. So, about those cupcakes. Here’s how to make them.
Are you ready for some great retro recipes? Take a look at what the group is sharing today:
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Recipe for Coca Cola Cupcakes
Coca Cola Cupcakes | Retro Recipes
For the Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup Coca-Cola®
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons Coca-Cola®
- 1 box 16 ouncesconfectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift the sugar and flour together.
- In a saucepan on the stove, mix the butter, vegetable oil, cocoa and Coca-Cola® together. Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients blending together well.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk and immediately add to the batter along with the two eggs, and the extract. Mix together well.
- For a Cake: Pour into a well-greased 9- by-13-inch pan and bake 35 to 45 minutes.
- For Cupcakes: Pour into mason jars about 1/3 full. (they will rise a lot). Place the mason jars in a pan and bake for 25-35 minutes. I checked them a lot. I removed them when a toothpick came out clean (at about 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and frost immediately.
To make the frosting:
- Combine the butter, cocoa and Coca-Cola® in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Sift the powdered sugar into the boiling cola/butter mixture, blending together well.
- Add the vanilla extract and the pecans.
- Spread the frosting over each cupcake. Allow to cool.
- For Cake: Refrigerate in covered container for up to a week.
- For Cupcakes: Screw the lid on the mason jar and store in refrigerator for up to a week.
Oh yes I do remember the coke cakes. I come across many other recipes that include coke in my old cook books. Love the cupcakes in a mason jar!
As a kid I drank my fair of Coke but never had a Coke Cake. Thank you for sharing this recipe, I will have to try it soon as my family loves anything with Coke.
lol so its more of a kids treat. I am still very childish so most probably I d like coca cola cupcakes. ^.^ I thought your cupcakes would include some cola powder or similar, I am surprised that you add real liquid cola! All in all its quite a creative recipe and something different, thank you for sharing. =)
I made a coke cake…I didn’t like it either! LOL! But everyone else did!
Never made one, but I know they are popular, at least online. You´re right, can´t get more retro than coke. Have a great sunday Nic!
My family is always thrilled when I make frosted cakes or cupcakes…they love them all. I know they’d be pleased with these. I do remember Coke and Sprite cakes from back in the day…but I’ve never made or tasted one 🙂
I have never had coca cola cupcakes, no one in my family baked but me and I have never made them or ate them but give me a big spoonful of that!!!
I’ve never had a coke cupcake/cake – but I am wanting to try it now!
Looks like a delicious treat!
My mama used to make coca cola sheet cake all the time growing up…it’s a southern classic! Love how cute yours look in the jar!!
These are absolutely adorable! Awesome pics!
Loooove Coke cake! Been years since I had a good one!
I never had coca-cola cake growing up 🙁 I feel like I really missed out, because these cupcakes sound incredible!
Thank you, Nicole, for sharing this unique recipe. I’ve never heard of Coca Cola cupcakes but upon reading your post, I guess I’ll have to make some and score points with big and little kids =)
P.s. Your Texas sheet cake looks like one my grandmother, Nona, who lived in Colorado used to make…I’ll have to try that recipe as well.
These sound Awesome!!
They sound fantastic!
I have never had coca cola cake, but what I love is how you baked the,min mason jars to make them portable!
Cooking with Coke! Now that is definitely retro! How creative 🙂
I can see why your kiddos gobbled up these cupcakes; they look amazing. I’m a coke fan. I can’t bring it in the house for fear that I’ll consume the entire case.
I have actually never heard of coke cake. I don’t actually like soda but I am fascinated by this idea of baking with it. Does that cake actually have a lot of the cola flavouring?
I don’t think I’ve ever had these, but they sound pretty interesting. I’ll have to give ’em a try soon.
I’ve had a Coca-Cola cake and it was nothing like this. I would love to have this version. Thanks for sharing it for our retro event!
I’ve never had a coca cola cake before so I’m totally intrigued. I’d love to give these a try!
I never knew that you can make so many things out/with coke. Wow!!! These cupcakes look fantastic 🙂
Coke cake?! Must try! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is all about favourite foods from childhood. I do hope you link this lovely one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links. Have a great week.