When I found out that this week’s #SundaySupper was inspired by Sara Moulton and her cookbook Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners, I couldn’t wait to pick a recipe and get started. We found out pretty quickly we were allowed to use any Sara Mouton recipe and use it to inspire us.
Almost immediately we settled on this Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce. It was inspired by her Ruthie’s Chocolate French Toast with Raspberry Sauce featured in her cookbook titled Sara Moulton Cooks at Home. We enjoy having a brunch style #SundaySupper from time to time. We paired this delicious Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Fruit, scrambled eggs and spinach casserole and bacon (because who can resist bacon!). We served coffee, juice and milk and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. The teens all LOVED the french toast. Even Miss Picky, but hey – it’s chocolate and you really cannot go wrong with chocolate. Or strawberries.
The sauce was made by the teenagers after going and picking FRESH strawberries out of my garden!
Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce #SundaySupper
For the Chocolate French Toast
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract you can also use vanilla but we wanted a different flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 8 slices of thick bread at least a 1/2-inch thick
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate broken into large chunks and finely chopped (I pulsed mine a few times in my food processor to get it down small)
For the Fresh Strawberry Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries greens removed
- 3 Tablespoons of Freshly Squeezed Meyer Lemon Juice use less if you don't want lemony flavor... but I warn you, the lemon-strawberry is SO good!
- 1/4 cup of sugar
For the Chocolate French Toast:
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sugar, almond extract and salt.
Pour into a shallow dish for dipping the bread.
It's easier to do this in 2 batches, so I will explain that method. You can do whatever is easiest for you.
Melt 1/2 the butter (1 1/2 Tablespoons) in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. (you can also use a griddle if you want).
Dip four pieces of bread slices into the egg mixture until lightly soaked. Immediately place all four down into the heated pan of melted butter.
Sprinkle each slice with 1/4th of the chocolate.
Dip the last four pieces of bread into the egg mixture and place them on top of the chocolate like a sandwich.
Gently press down with a spatula to be sure the slices adhere to each other.
Turn down the heat and cook on medium about 4 minutes per side.
Once finished, remove from pan.
Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
For Fresh Strawberry Sauce:
In a blender, mix together the strawberries, fresh squeezed meyer lemon juice and sugar.
Spoon over chocolate french toast. Garnish each plate with a strawberry.
Breakfast for Dinner:
- Open-faced Zucchini Omelet with Red Bell Pepper and Feta by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Polenta Lasagne by Blueberries and Blessings
- Spicy Korean Cheesesteak by Kimchi MOM
- Chorizo Mushroom Bites by La Cocina de Leslie
- Roasted Ratatouille Crêpes with Goat Cheese by Healthy.Delicious.
- Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pizza by Runner’s Tales
- Clay Pot Vegetable Stew by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Reuben Pizza by Juanita’s Cocina
- Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Zucchini by The Messy Baker Blog
- Manchego, Fig and Bacon Flatbreads by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by girlichef
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Pesto Pizza by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Peppery Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Angel Hair Pasta by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chicken Artichoke Piccata by Sustainable Dad
- Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Deli Style Turkey Reuben Pizza by In The Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Garlic Caper Sauce by Family Foodie
Spectacular Sides and Salads:
- Curried Peas and Black Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Feta, Chickpeas, and Pita Croutons by Supper for a Steal
- A Summer Salad from Paris by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Caprese Salad with Avocado by Ruffles & Truffles
Don’t Skip Desserts and Drinks:
- Three-Ingredient Pluot Crisp by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Strawberry Dessert by Growing Up Gabel
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut-Butter No Bake Cookies by Killer Bunnies
- Warm Chocolate Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkish Pistachio and Apricot Bread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade by The Urban Mrs.
- Blueberry Crepes by Basic N Delicious
- Nectarine Upside-Down Cake by Magnolia Days
- Cannoli Strawberries by Foxes Love Lemons
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Watermelon Basil Lemonade by Curious Cuisiniere
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.