Decadent Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce is a favorite on any brunch table. It’s pairs well with all sorts of savory dishes but does great as a stand alone as well! So Yummy!
When I found out that this week’s theme was inspired by Sara Moulton and her cookbook Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners, I couldn’t wait to pick a recipe and get started. We found out pretty quickly we were allowed to use any Sara Mouton recipe and use it to inspire us.
Almost immediately we settled on this Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce.
It was inspired by her Ruthie’s Chocolate French Toast with Raspberry Sauce featured in her cookbook titled Sara Moulton Cooks at Home. We enjoy having a brunch style Sunday meal from time to time.
We paired this delicious Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Fruit, scrambled eggs and spinach casserole and bacon (because who can resist bacon!). We served coffee, juice and milk and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.
The teens all LOVED the french toast.
Even Miss Picky, but hey – it’s chocolate and you really cannot go wrong with chocolate. Or strawberries.
The sauce was made by the teenagers after going and picking FRESH strawberries out of my garden!
And they just keep coming! haha This is why we picked a strawberry sauce! Something fun to do with all these strawberries!
- Clay Pot Vegetable Stew
- Grilled Reuben Pizza
- Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Zucchini
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Pesto Pizza
- Curried Peas and Black Beans
- Turkish Pistachio and Apricot Bread
- Nectarine Upside-Down Cake
Recipe for Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce
Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce
For the Chocolate French Toast
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract you can also use vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 8 slices of thick bread at least a 1/2-inch thick
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate broken into large chunks and finely chopped
For the Fresh Strawberry Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries greens removed
- 3 Tablespoons of Freshly Squeezed Meyer Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup of sugar
For the Chocolate French Toast:
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sugar, almond extract and salt.
- Pour into a shallow dish for dipping the bread.
- It’s easier to do this in 2 batches, so I will explain that method. You can do whatever is easiest for you.
- Melt 1/2 the butter (1 1/2 Tablespoons) in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. (you can also use a griddle if you want).
- Dip four pieces of bread slices into the egg mixture until lightly soaked. Immediately place all four down into the heated pan of melted butter.
- Sprinkle each slice with 1/4th of the chocolate.
- Dip the last four pieces of bread into the egg mixture and place them on top of the chocolate like a sandwich.
- Gently press down with a spatula to be sure the slices adhere to each other.
- Turn down the heat and cook on medium about 4 minutes per side.
- Once finished, remove from pan.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
For Fresh Strawberry Sauce:
- In a blender, mix together the strawberries, fresh squeezed meyer lemon juice and sugar.
- Spoon over chocolate french toast. Garnish each plate with a strawberry.