These Almond Joy Cupcakes are a coconut lovers dream. Rich, dark chocolate coconut cake, gooey coconut filling and topped with a decadent dark chocolate coconut frosting. Perfection!
Before I tell you all about these amazing cupcakes, and answer some frequently asked questions about baking cupcakes, I’m going to tell you about this week.
I’d like to take a minute to welcome you to Back to School Treats Week (known as #BackToSchoolTreats on social media).
Let’s talk about these delicious Almond Joy Cupcakes.
They start with a really incredible, moist dark chocolate coconut cake.
After they cool, they are filled with coconut cream and then topped with decadent, dark chocolate coconut frosting.
But then, they are sprinkled with coconut flakes and chopped almonds.
To fancy them up just in time for Back to School, we added some fun, primary, school color sprinkles.
This is totally optional and not necessary to enjoy these incredible cupcakes!
More Back to School Recipes
Baked Funfetti Doughnuts
Chocolate Chip Maple Pecan Granola
Chocolate Malt Waffles
Coconut Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Nutella Waffles with Strawberry Syrup
Oatmeal Pear Bars
PB&J Overnight Oats
Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
Caramel Apple Back to School Cupcakes
Vanilla Bean Pudding Pops
Caramel Apple Iced Tea
Dairy-Free Apple Pie Smoothie
Iced Salted Caramel Latte
Big thank you to Sweets & Treats for the sprinkles that made our Back to School Almond Joy Cupcakes festive, Dixie Crystals sugar for both the granulated and powdered sugar used in this recipe, and to Taylor and Colledge for providing the incredible Gourmet Coconut Extract Paste which literally put these cupcakes over the top!
Also, there is a giveaway down below, so be sure and read all about that!
Are you ready to make these Almond Joy Cupcakes?
Almond Joy Cupcakes
- ¾ cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 14 oz shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoons coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add paper liners to a muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, just until eggs are combined. Mix in vanilla and beat until blended.
- Add the flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the milk to the flour mixture a little at a time, beating just until everything is combined.
- Spoon batter into cupcake tins lined with paper liners or lightly greased, to 2/3 full.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 16-18 minutes, until done. Use a toothpick to test for doneness, inserting in center, if it comes out clean with no batter or crumbs, the cupcakes are ready.
- Let cupcakes rest in pan for 2-3 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, coconut and coconut extract paste until completely combined.
- Using a melon baller, or tiny scoop, coming in from the top of the cupcake, remove a bit of the cake down through the center. Reserve the little cake ball. Fill the center of each cupcake with the coconut cream and place the remaining cake back on top pushing down gently to fill the hole.
- Repeat with all cupcakes.
- When ready to frost the cupcakes, melt the butter. In a large bowl combine the melted butter and cocoa. Add powdered sugar and milk, alternating a little at a time, until combined. Beat until frosting is spreadable or able to be piped. Add coconut paste. Mix well.
- Fill piping bag and pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut and chopped almonds. Use sprinkles for a fun back to school treat.