A great dish to add to your asparagus recipes.
Every month I get so excited for The Secret Recipe Club assignments. The SRC is an awesome group of foodies/recipe lovers, who are assigned a different blog each month. You keep the blog a secret until reveal day. You choose a recipe from the blog to create during the month and then reveal which blog you had and which recipe you chose on a certain date each month. My posting date for my group this month is actually the 22nd.
I got an email today, requesting a volunteer to take a second blog, and I jumped at the chance. As ridiculous as it sounds, I’d do this every week if I could. Someone dropped out and there was an emergency need for someone to prepare something from this blog. When I clicked on the link to get to the blog, I was SO excited. Recipe after recipe of the exact types of food I feed my family. It was VERY hard to choose something, she had so many delicious recipes for the making. But alas, I chose the Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus, because I knew my kids would love it, and I’m going through an asparagus recipes kick right now much the same way she mentions going through. And hello? Did you see – it has BACON! Bacon recipes are amazing and make everything better.
At any rate, it was the asparagus that caught my eye because I am a sucker for any dish I can add to my collection of asparagus recipes. Such a healthy veggie that is so good prepared in pasta dishes and I love the fact that they are not cooked to be too soft, but still have a little crunch to them.
And bacon recipes. Did I mention them? I love bacon… I’m always surprised when I find the rare person who doesn’t really like bacon. What? Bacon recipes are so good! Anyway!
My emergency blog for Group A is: Connor’s Cooking
A special little thank you to Amanda, for hosting such an amazing club, getting together such a great group of food lovers and for allowing me to cook off Connor’s Cooking blog this month, because I think I will be a long time follower!
And a really special thank you to Connor’s Cooking giving me an excellent dish to add to my collection of asparagus recipes.
- 1 package rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅔ cup half and half
- ½ cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Boil your water.
- Follow package directions for cooking Rigatoni. Drain Pasta.
- In a dutch oven, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- In same pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute garlic in butter and oil until tender. Stir in the cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in mozzarella until melted. Drain rigatoni; add to pan. Stir in the salt, asparagus and reserved bacon.
- Sprinkle with parmigiano-reggiano cheese and parsley.
- Eat & Enjoy! The only thing I changed is that we substituted Oregano for the Parsley. This was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!
I absolutely love this dish: Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus was the perfect pick for Secret Recipe Club this month. What did you make? Any other asparagus recipes or bacon recipes out there?
Update: I added two dishes from this group to my bacon recipes collection. Be sure and check out the great recipes in this week’s reveal!