I am so happy to be joining in on our #SundaySupper theme this week. Summer BBQ! I almost didn’t, but not because I didn’t want to, but because I wasn’t sure how I’d ever get it all done. You see, as you’re reading this, I am probably currently completely wrapped up in my daughter Brielle‘s return home.
You see, she’s been gone for the past 3 weeks at Truman State University taking advantage of a fun college experience. I’ve missed her like crazy and as I’m writing this, there are only four short little days until I see her. I am so excited to make the drive to get her, spend some fun time with my family in a hotel with an indoor pool, and see all the awesome sign language my daughter spent the past 3 weeks learning.
So because of all my other obligations, and our travel arrangements, I didn’t think I’d have time to do anything.
But my teens had other ideas.
Story Behind the Ditch Dogs for a Summer BBQ
The first time someone explained to me what a Ditch Dog was, I couldn’t imagine it.
“Macaroni and Cheese smothering a hot dog to death.” was how it was explained. Frankly, it sounded weird. Not necessarily gross, just weird.
That all changed the other day when I actually saw one with my own eyes. I was innocently scrolling through my instagram feed and my sweet friend Nancy had just posted an instagram of a Ditch Dog she had eaten that day. It looked goooood. It called my name. I thought about it for a few days afterward.
I showed it to my teenagers and that was when it was set in stone. We were making it. I mean, afterall – it’s like the perfect teen food. Ya know? We don’t eat hot dogs regularly here at all, and we’re quite picky about our hot dogs. They have to be 100% beef. 100%. Except for my hubby who enjoys turkey dogs.
And we had to have made from scratch macaroni and cheese, which was not a problem since we make it a lot. You know… teens… comfort food…. yeah.
We didn’t go for anything special with the bacon, just regular old yummy bacon.
And the green onions were fresh from our garden, which I have to tell you I am simply loving. Snip, snip. Fresh herbs and veggies anytime we want!
So, before you turn your nose at something you’ve never had, at least have a taste (or see what it looks like first) because we actually really enjoyed these. The teens were a bit fanatic about them.
- 8 hot dogs, grilled
- 8 hot dog buns, toasted or grilled - we used garlic butter and then toasted them
- Macaroni and Cheese - we use this recipe (it's one of our favorites and is perfect for this recipe)
- green onions, thinly chopped
- 1 pkg. of cooked bacon, crumbled or sliced
- Once everything is ready, lay your toasted/grilled bun flat and place the hot dog on top.
- Spoon the macaroni and cheese over the top. Use as little or as much as you like. Just remember, you have to close it and eat it, so not too much.
- Sprinkle bacon and green onions over the top.
Don’t forget to check out the other #SundaySupper folks! Lots of great BBQ recipes to eat in style!
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles
Come break bread with us at this year’s Conference. You will be glad you did!