An easy throwback recipe, decidedly vintage, this Retro Cold Pasta Salad with Bacon and Ranch is the perfect addition to absolutely any meal!
It’s time once again for Secret Recipe Club and I cannot believe a whole month has already flown by.
How in the world did we get to August already?
I feel like the summer has simply flown by.
This year we are homeschooling, so the “back to school” date doesn’t affect us.
However I was surprised to learn our district goes back WEDNESDAY.
Yes, August 6. I mean what? Geez. They just got out.
Anyway, like I said, it’s hard to believe it’s almost over and that Fall is staring us down, though I must admit I am ready for some cooler weather.
I know *gasp* all you summer lovers won’t understand, but my favorite season is Fall and I simply cannot wait.
However, one of my most favorite things to enjoy in the summer are cold pasta salads.
I have been known to cheat a time or two and purchase a mix just to make it easier and my mix of choice would generally be Suddenly Salad.
I was assigned Wildflours Cottage Kitchen this month for the Secret Recipe Club and she has oodles of amazing recipes, including this awesome retro cold pasta salad that is so incredibly reminiscent of Suddenly Salad and pretty darn close to one we’ve made before from my Nana.
Essentially this is the copycat of all copycat recipes. Just sayin’.
Okay so maybe not, but my goodness is it good and we’ve now made this version a couple of times and it’s excellent.
We actually wound up picking Kelly’s Retro Homemade “Shell Salad” with Ranch, Bacon, Carrots & Baby Peas because we were needing a salad for an upcoming BBQ.
This one just seemed to fit the bill and wasn’t difficult to triple to feed everybody.
Plus, doesn’t a cold pasta salad like this one, just scream summer?
We love your version and it’s FAR better than it’s original counterpart!
Get ready for some truly delicious throw back yumminess!
Recipe for Retro Cold Pasta Salad
Retro Cold Pasta Salad
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1 oz. packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup Hormel Real Bacon Bits
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 cup frozen baby peas thawed
- 2 cups uncooked medium-sized shell pasta
- In a medium, mix the first 5 ingredients together.
- Fold in frozen peas. Set aside to allow flavors to combine.
- In a medium pot, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.Shake collander to remove excess water.
- Stir the pasta once or twice and then gently fold the dressing mixture into the pasta.
- Chill for 2 hours. Can be served slightly warm as well.