Cheesy, creamy Pumpkin Sausage Mac and Cheese has the smooth, flavorful addition of pumpkin, combined with the savory cheesy flavor of a traditional Mac and Cheese with savory sausage slices.
Well, we are halfway through Pumpkin Week and today’s recipe is Pumpkin Sausage Mac and Cheese and is absolutely fabulous! I wanted to switch over to savory for at least one recipe this week and so I placed it smack dab in the middle of the week. I made this Pumpkin Sausage Mac and Cheese recently, and my daughter who was quite skeptical about putting pumpkin in mac and cheese (she’s a traditionalist, what can she say) was absolutely sold from the first bite and literally cleaned the plate off in like 3 minutes.
Yes, it’s really that good.
All the perfect things about Mac & Cheese – creamy, cheesy and full of great flavor. We love this version and we are pretty sure you will too. I made this Pumpkin Ravioli with a Roasted Garlic Brown Butter Sauce a few years ago too, so if you’re looking for a savory pumpkin recipe, either of these will do.
Anyway, let’s get to making this creamy goodness!
Pumpkin Sausage Mac and Cheese
Pumpkin Sausage Mac and Cheese
- 1 16oz package macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 8oz package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 package Smoked Sausage, cooked then sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- Cook macaroni pasta according to package directions. Drain, set aside.
- In the same pot you cooked the macaroni, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook and stir garlic in melted butter until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the butter and garlic to form a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the evaporated milk whisking into flour mixture until it forms a smooth sauce; simmer until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the shredded cheese and cream cheese and whisk and stir until completely melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the sausage and and stir until combined.
- Lightly stir in the smoked sausage and the cooked macaroni until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, enjoy!
- Bake in the preheated oven until topping is brown and crisp, 40 minutes.
Here are today’s #PumpkinWeek recipes:
Pumpkin Drink Recipes:
Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup from The Nifty Foodie.
Savory Pumpkin Recipes:
Chicken and Pumpkin Curry from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures.
Pumpkin Beef Stew from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen.
Pumpkin-Poblano Salsa from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Pumpkin Risotto with Garlic and Sage from Making Miracles.
Pumpkin Sausage Mac and Cheese from Daily Dish Recipes.
Pumpkin Sausage Skillet Dinner from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings.
Pumpkin Walnut Sage Pierogi from The Crumby Kitchen.
Savory Pumpkin Sage Biscuits from Kudos Kitchen by Renee.
Sweet Pumpkin Recipes:
Pumpkin Chess Pie from The Spiffy Cookie.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies from Amy’s Cooking Adventures.
Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins with a Pecan Oat Crumble from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
Pumpkin Dump Cake from Seduction in the Kitchen.
Pumpkin-Nut Crumble Cake from Hardly A Goddess.
Pumpkin Pie Cream Puffs from Mildly Meandering.
Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
Spice Cookies with Pumpkin Dip from An Affair from the Heart.
Stuffed Pumpkin Cupcakes from The Freshman Cook.
Whipped Pumpkin Pie Honey Butter from Love and Confections.
White Chocolate Pumpkin Biscotti from The Redhead Baker.