Cocktail hour here, means little trays of cheese, appetizers and cocktails. We enjoy cocktail hour with my parents at least once a month (even though they enjoy it everyday and I am not kidding!). We always have at least 5 different varieties of cheese, and we always make sure they are Wisconsin Cheese, because there clearly is a difference. The finest milk, produces the finest cheese which in turn means absolute decadence with each bite.
We also try to throw in an appetizer or two. One of our favorites are these Prosciutto Havarti Spinach Bundles.
There are just some things that make a recipe. Often it is a simple ingredient, and this case… cheese. Havarti Cheese. One of my favorites. I have never known much about Havarti cheese except it is good and my mom and dad serve it during cocktail hour all the time. Since I use it so often, I wanted to learn more.
I learned that Havarti is a milder version of German Tilsit. And I also learned that many cheesemakers in Wisconsin produce a similar cheese, but the University of Wisconsin-Madison developed a special Wisconsin-style Havarti® that is firmer in texture and more buttery in flavor than other types. I did not realize that Havarti now comes both plain and flavored. I need to find some of the flavored variety, because I would even think that would take this simple appetizer recipe up a notch.My grandma used to make these for family functions, and I really was not sure exactly what she used. So years ago, I sort of played around and came up with this, based on several recipes I had seen. The key to these Prosciutto Havarti Spinach Bundles, is that they do not have to have Havarti. You can use any melt-able Wisconsin cheese you like. You can also add different greens if you would like. If you are into Kale, add it.But let us just get to the deliciousness that is this easy appetizer recipe, and thank the heavens for the cheesy goodness that makes them incredible!
Prosciutto Havarti Spinach Bundles
- 1 roll of puff pastry dough
- 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped prosciutto di parma
- 24 .5 inch cubes of Havarti Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder less or more to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Unroll puff pastry dough, and using a knife or pizza cutter, slice the dough into 24 squares.
Place dough into mini muffin pan sprayed with cooking spray, filling all 24 mini spots. (see photos for example)
Place one cube of Havarti cheese in the center of each dough square.
Saute spinach in butter and garlic powder. Allow to cool slightly.
Spoon a little spinach into each mini cup on top of the cheese.
Sprinkle the chopped prosciutto di parma into each dough square equally.
Take all the edges of the dough and gently pinch together at the top (see photo above). This keeps all the ingredients inside and makes the bundle.
Place muffin tin in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
Place on try and serve immediately.
Be sure and visit the Wisconsin Cheese Website for more great cheesy information, fantastic recipes, videos and so much more.
Follow Wisconsin Cheese on social media:
This post is sponsored by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
- Cheese Crispies by Shockingly Delicious
- Cheese Fondue by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Prosciutto Havarti Spinach Bundles by Daily Dish Recipes
Main Dishes with Cheese:
- Cheese Curd Stuffed Meatball Sliders by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesy Crab Stuffed Peppers by FoodieTots
- Cheesy Skillet Lasagna by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Vegetable Enchiladas by Alida’s Kitchen
- Fontina Chorizo Spinach Quiche by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Ham, Blackberry Ricotta, and Fresh Mozzarella Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Korean-style Poutine 2.0 by kimchi MOM
- Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil Couscous Salad with Arugula by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pimento Cheese Potato Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Sausage and Burrata Pasta by Family Foodie
Cheese Side Dishes:
- Cheesy Jalapeno and Bacon Potato Au Gratin by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- White Mac and Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Cheese Crepes with Brandied Cherry Topping by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Ricotta Cheesecake Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
10 Ideas for Cheese Dip Dippers by Sunday Supper Movement