For a Huge Collection of Fourth of July Recipes and Crafts – Click Here
Today begins my week of fourth of July recipes and patriotic recipes, that will be perfect for the upcoming holiday.
We usually do a small gathering of family and friends, picnic or BBQ, on or before the actual holiday.
And we love to decorate both the back yard and the food with lots of fun patriotic color.
This recipe is one my daughter made years and years ago, at preschool.
The difference in what she made there, and what we do now – is that they used pineapple for the middle piece instead of the cake.
We like cake and wanted it to be more of a dessert, so this is what we wound up doing with it.
Who doesn’t love fresh fruit? We do!
When trying to find a fourth of july recipe to make for an event we attended last year, I fell back on these which we used to make a lot when the kids were younger.
Since then, we have made them on several occasions – Memorial Day and two Veteran’s events we attended.
The recipe is ridiculously simple.
I mean we’re talking some slicing and that’s about it.
But, since I always provide recipes, here you go.
What do I serve with Dessert Skewers?
A yogurt dip
Frosting or Icing in a fun flavor
Cream Cheese based fruit dip or spread
Honey or a homemade dessert syrup
Fourth of July Recipes: Patriotic Dessert Skewers
I am pretty sure that is the easiest recipe I’ve ever shared on my blog, but regardless its so cute, I had to share.
Recipe for Patriotic Fruit Kebobs
4th of July Recipes: Patriotic Dessert Skewers
- 1 container of strawberries strawberries, greens removed and sliced in half.
- 1 container of Blueberries
- Pound Cake cut into cubes (you will have extra leftover)
- Whipped Cream
- I started out by washing all the fruit. Then removing the greens from the strawberries and slicing them in half.
- Cut the cake into 1? squares.
- Begin by sliding a strawberry onto the skewer, then a piece of pound cake. When we made these the first time, we added a bit of whipped cream on either end of the pound cake, but we found that they became kind of drippy in the heat, so if you want to do that and you’re serving them in doors, you can add some whipped cream if you want.
- Next add 2-3 blueberries. Then add another piece of pound cake and then a strawberry, then pound cake, three blueberries and so on until the skewer is filled.
- If you don’t do any whipped cream on the kebobs, then we serve whipped cream in a big bowl to spoon out onto their plate and dip the kebobs.
- They are fun and tasty and you can use all kinds of different fruits and other things to slide on the kebob to make them perfect for any occasion.