So almost a month ago was National Chocolate Mint day (February 19, 2016), so to celebrate the day we made some Mint Cupcakes with Mint Dark Chocolate Ganache. They were spontaneous and I was sort of winging it in the kitchen because I wasn’t obviously prepared.
“Will these turn out?” “Are they minty enough?” “Are they too minty?”
I set out with a plan. I wanted a cupcake that tasted a lot like the famous candies that are chocolate mint. But not necessarily the batter, the ganache. I wanted to be sure there was plenty of mint flavor.
Andes Chocolate Mints are my favorite candies. If I was going to celebrate a Chocolate Mint holiday, I was going to do my best to celebrate it with a flavor reminscent of my favorite candy. This post is NOT sponsored, SO it allowed me to get creative in the kitchen.
Instead of topping our cute cupcakes with a piece of Andes (which was our original plan), we found these Dove Dark Chocolate Mint candies and I just loved how they looked sitting on top. And I have to be honest, of all the chocolate mint I’ve eated in my life, these are probably the closest to tasting like actual Andes Chocolate Mints. Plus they are cute. Just saying.
So these were supposed to be posted the day after Chocolate Mint Day, but at the time, my daughter was having some odd pregnancy complications, so she came before cupcakes. Carsyn Oliver was born February 22, 2016 and so the cupcakes really got put off. And now I’m posting them, because it’s almost St. Patty’s day, and they are PERFECT for St. Patty’s day! So forget that Chocolate Mint Day stuff, and focus on these cupcakes. Eat them whenever, but they are obviously perfect for St. Patrick’s day!
I did one other thing. I made the mint cupcakes batter and the ganache using Dekuyper Liqueur Creme De Menthe. I wasn’t real sure it would work, but I persevered. I had been tempted to just use Creme De Menthe syrup, but I didn’t have that on hand and really did not want to go to the store. I had the Dekuyper Liqueur, so that’s what I used. And it worked. They were a HUGE hit and even though I only got one, which I devoured in like 30 seconds, the rest of the family enjoyed them and has been begging me to make them again!
Ready to make some Mint Cupcakes with Mint Dark Chocolate Ganache?
Mint Cupcakes with Mint Dark Chocolate Ganache
For the cupcakes
- 3 c. cake flour
- 3 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- ? c. butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 3/4 c, DeKuyper® Créme De Menthe Green
- 6 egg whites
- 1-3 drops green food coloring, for desired effect
For the Mint Chocolate Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of DeKuyper® Créme De Menthe Green
- 12 ounces of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- 3 tablespoons of corn syrup
For the cupcakes:
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the liquid ingredients and mix well. Spoon batter into cupcake liners in a cupcake pan. Bake at 350 for about 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the mint chocolate frosting:
- In a pan over medium heat, add the chocolate and cream and stir until melted and combined. Stir constantly. Add the corn syrup and mix until combined. Add the DeKuyper® Créme De Menthe Green and stir again until combined. Remove from heat. Allow to cool about 5-10 minutes (frosting will thicken as it cools and become easier to spread and stay neat). Spoon frosting on each cupcake and press the back of the spoon to spread evenly.
- Top with chocolate mint candies or just eat as is! YUM!
Related recipes across the web