Why do we love Meyer Lemons so much? Meyer lemons make this Meyer Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus with Brown Rice even better with a sweet citrus tartness that really brings out the flavor.
It’s absolutely perfect for a quick weeknight dinner but this week we had it for dinner Sunday to go with our fun Citrus theme this week.
Speaking of citrus, my affection for citrus is so passionate that I did have some trouble deciding what I wanted to make.
In fact, originally I couldn’t get Blood Orange out of my mind. I’m probably more addicted to that then Meyer Lemons, but I had a big old bag and I needed to use them up, so this was it.
And I’m not sorry. It’s a fabulous meal that we enjoy frequently!
Don’t forget to check out all the other great recipes in today’s fabulous lineup.
More Great Citrus Recipes
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
Recipe for Meyer Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus
Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus
- 1 lb. raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 3 tablespoons of minced garlic divided
- 1/4 cup of onion chopped
- 2 pounds asparagus trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed meyer lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil, in a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add the peppers, 1 1/2 tablespoons of garlic, onions and asparagus, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes or until it the vegetables are just starting to get soft. I try not to let them get too soft, because the little bit of crisp is actually really nice in each bite.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat, and set them aside on a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- In the skillet, add the remaining garlic and the lemon juice and heat for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth and stir. Then add the cornstarch and stir and cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes or so.
- Serve this with brown rice, pasta or quinoa.
- Pile a plate with 1/2 cup of brown rice. Dish the veggies evenly over each plate. Spoon the shrimp and sauce over the entire thing. Mix together and enjoy!