These Pina Colada Cupcakes turn a classic favorite tropical cocktail into a fun and festive dessert that just screams summer! Pineapple cake, Rum flavored frosting and plenty of coconut. YUM!
It’s Day 2 of BBQWeek and yesterday brought a whole bunch of fantastic recipes to serve at your next barbecue.
Today we are back to bring you a few more.
If you want to follow along, follow the hashtag #BBQWeek on any social media and you are sure to find dozens of fantastic recipes to incorporate into your next backyard BBQ.
Today I have brought you these incredibly delicious and very easy Pina Colada Cupcakes.
Because I wanted to make a recipe that was simple and easy, I used a doctored up pineapple cake box mix.
If you have a great recipe for pineapple cake that you’d rather use, go ahead.
I just wanted to make it simple, since these are geared for a BBQ event.
In case you missed my recipe yesterday, I shared the Best Grilled BBQ Pork Ribs.
They are incredible and are the perfect main dish for any BBQ.
Want a few more BBQ recipes?
Be sure to scroll down and check out today’s BBQ Week recipes, and follow along all week for MANY more!
BBQ Week Recipes
Who’s ready to make some Pina Colada Cupcakes?
Recipe for Easy Pina Colada Cupcakes
Easy Pina Colada Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box cake mix we used pineapple cake
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup butter softened
- 16 ounce powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoons rum extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- maraschino cherries pineapple slices for garnish, if desired
- We used this pineapple cake mix. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, pineapple juice, eggs and oil. Mix according to package directions (30 seconds on low – 2 minutes on medium).
- Place cupcake wrappers in muffin tin. Fill each cupcake wrapper about 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake, comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat the butter until soft and creamy. Add the rum, rum extract and milk and blend well. Add powdered sugar, a little at a time, beating well in between each addition until all powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Once cupcakes are cool, spread or pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Top each frosted cupcake with shredded coconut and garnish with a pineapple slice and maraschino cherry.
- Serve and Enjoy. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.