Why do we love Meyer Lemons so much? Meyer lemons make this Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice even better with a sweet citrus tartness that really brings out the flavor. It’s absolutely perfect for a quick weeknight dinner but this week we had it for #SundaySupper to go with our fun Citrus theme this week.
Speaking of citrus, my affection for citrus is so passionate that I did have some trouble deciding what I wanted to make. In fact, originally I couldn’t get Blood Orange out of my mind. I’m probably more addicted to that then Meyer Lemons, but I had a big old bag and I needed to use them up, so this was it. And I’m not sorry. It’s a fabulous meal that we enjoy frequently!
Don’t forget to check out all the other great recipes in today’s fabulous #SundaySupper reveal.
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of minced garlic, divided
- ¼ cup of onion, chopped
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed meyer lemon juice
- 1½ cups of chicken broth
- 1¼ tsp. cornstarch
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil, in a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add the peppers, 1½ tablespoons of garlic, onions and asparagus, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes or until it the vegetables are just starting to get soft. I try not to let them get too soft, because the little bit of crisp is actually really nice in each bite.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat, and set them aside on a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- In the skillet, add the remaining garlic and the lemon juice and heat for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth and stir. Then add the cornstarch and stir and cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes or so.
- Serve this with brown rice, pasta or quinoa.
- Pile a plate with ½ cup of brown rice. Dish the veggies evenly over each plate. Spoon the shrimp and sauce over the entire thing. Mix together and enjoy!
Check out the great recipe line-up for today!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.