Today we have Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting! How cute are these and omg! So yummy!
Welcome to the Day 2 of the 12 Days of Sweet Eats and Holiday Treats Link Up!
I hope if you have some fun Holiday Treats, Crafts, Decorations or DIY Holiday projects that you’ll jump right in and link up. The only rules are, just go say hi to my amazingly, awesome hosts and give them some love too. (Don’t worry, we’ll stop by and say hi to you too.)
Plus they have awesome treats in store for you too!
Micha from Cooking Mimi
Pam from Blueberries and Blessings
These adorable cupcakes were inspired by a cup of hot chocolate the kids and I were consuming last winter. I had seen others do Hot Chocolate Cupcakes and I wanted to try my hand and coming up with a recipe our family enjoyed.
I used my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe for the batter and the only addition was the mini marshmallows to the batter.
The marshmallow frosting was a little harder. I tried a few different recipes, and I kept winding up with either frosting that got too hard, or frosting that was WAY too runny to work. I think this super easy marshmallow frosting recipe is perfect and provided you store your cupcakes in a sealed plastic container, I was able to keep the frosting fresh for several days (we usually had them eaten by day 4!)
Let’s make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
For the Cupcakes
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 3/4 c. cake flour
- 3/4 c. dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. boiling water
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows (I actually used 1 cup of Kraft Jet Puffed Mallow Bits)
For Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 1/3 cups butter, room temperature until softened
- 2 cups of marshmallow creme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of milk (plus more if you want less thick)
- 2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a stand mixer until moist and well blended. Scrape the sides as needed.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Allow to cool completely before adding frosting or you will have a melty mess.
For the Marshmallow Frosting:
- Mix the softened butter and marshmallow creme together until smooth and well blended.
- Add the milk and extract and again blend until smooth.
- Mix the powdered sugar in and beat until the frosting is creamy and smooth.
- If the frosting seems to thick, add a teaspoon of milk at a time and blend until it is the consistency you desire.
Don’t forget to link up your own fun Sweet Eats and Holiday Treats. Anything goes… share holiday decorations, projects, crafts, DIY and of course, recipes. Link up below and be sure to check back tomorrow for another fabulous holiday recipe. Also please don’t forget to go check out Pam and Micha too!