Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe

cauliflower pizza crust recipe

A repost of the Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe by request – originally published August 9, 2008.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust? Says who? Yes, it’s delicious. And yes, it’s really Cauliflower – no bread. And what is even crazier is that you can’t even tell it’s Cauliflower. When we first made this pizza crust, I had to get it together before the 5 kids got home from school. I was on a diet and was trying to lower my carb intake, and knew I had to cut out pizza crust. I also knew that at least one of them would be totally fine with the idea of Cauliflower in her pizza crust, but I wasn’t convinced about the rest. And I’m 100% positive that my oldest daughter wouldn’t have touched it. But she loves pizza and I was focused on making sure she had no idea what I had made it with until AFTER she ate it. And so I made this Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe.

Recipe for Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Yes it’s really cauliflower, and a much healthier alternative than regular pizza crust. Nobody will know it's cauliflower though! It is seriously that good!
Author:
Recipe type: Pizza
Cuisine: American
Serves: 1 pizza crust
Ingredients
  • 1 c. cooked, riced cauliflower
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 c. mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • ¼ – ½ c. pizza sauce
  • parmesan cheese, if desired
  • pizza toppings
Instructions
  1. Don’t know how to rice cauliflower? Let me teach you the quick easy way.
  2. I purchased a large head of cauliflower, brought it home – washed it thoroughly, and then patted it dry. I then chopped it into small bite size pieces and tossed them into my food processor and processed it until it was the size of rice. Like this:
  3. %http://dailydishrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/riced_cauliflower-300x225.jpg
  4. After you’ve riced it, place it in a microwave safe dish and put it in there for about 7-8 minutes or so.
  5. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F
  6. Grab a pizza pan and spray it with a non-stick spray. By the way, don’t be stingy with the spray. If you don’t use enough, that pizza will be difficult to get off the pan. Trust me on that. You can also use parchment paper if you have it. It works pretty well. I still spray the parchment paper lightly.
  7. In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, egg whites, mozzarella, oregano and garlic.
  8. Press evenly in the pan. Push it down into all the corners making sure its stuck to itself pretty well. It will not be a pretty circle, but it won’t matter when you taste it, I promise.
  9. %http://dailydishrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/cauliflowerpizza-300x249.jpg
  10. Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese if you want some more flavor.
  11. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. I strongly recommend checking it at about the 12 minute mark and then allow it too cook for remaining time if needed. This crust is not like a typical BREAD crust… it sometimes won’t stay together as well and will require a fork and a spoon, but I also know that once you taste it, you just won’t care. At all.
  12. Remove the pan from the oven. Add your sauce, toppings and cheese.
  13. Place under a broiler for about 30-60 seconds, just until the cheese is melted. Watch it carefully or it will burn.

I suck because I did not take a photo of the finished pizza with the Cauliflower Pizza Crust when we made this because I was trying to keep it a secret from the kids, especially Miss Picky and my youngest, the nine year old. They’d have thought I was nuts photographing a pizza, and I wasn’t wanting them to know it was Cauliflower yet.

Anyway, it looks amazing, it tastes amazing and guess what – my pickiest eater who in a million years would not pop a piece of cauliflower into her mouth – Ever, I swear she wouldn’t. AND she LOVES it. Yes. My kids now request this all the time. All 5 of them. That’s how good it is. If I can convince at least 3 super picky eaters to eat this, and now they know what it is, you’ll be very happy you made the switch. It’s a little extra work, but it’s SO good you won’t care.

Update: I now have 5 teenagers. They still request this more often than most other recipes on my blog. It’s just that good!

Let me know if you’ve tried the Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe and what you thought of it.

Comments

1. says

Okay, you’re ingredients list says “cooked”, riced cauliflower, but in your instructions, you said you washed it, chopped it and food processed it. Is the cooking part when it cooks in the oven for 12 minutes or is it supposed to be cooked before you mix it with the other ingredients and then press it into the pan?

And, do you think you could just use butter to grease the pan? My cooking stone is a stone and can’t be put under a broiler. I could probably just bake it longer couldn’t I?

Sorry for so many questions!! I want to try it, but don’t want to ruin it on my first try!
    Thanks for posting it, Nicole!

• says

@Michelle, you did indeed catch one step that probably should have been put it in there. I added it up there, but you will need to microwave the cauliflower for several minutes to make it “cooked”.

I’m honestly not sure if butter will work to grease the pan – one time we made it I was out of cooking spray so I used Crisco and it did work but it was messy. LOL

I’m pretty sure you aren’t supposed to use a pizza stone for this particular crust. A pizza stone is for bread – I would use a cookie sheet. I would be a little worried about the crust not cooking correctly on a pizza stone, but then again I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure. I usually use a round pizza pan for mine, but we’ve made rectangular pizza a few times using just a regular cookie sheet.

And don’t you worry about asking questions, I’m only sorry I don’t have more answers.

2. says

OMG I am SOOO trying this. Cauliflower is one of my top 5 favorite vegetables. I can actually sit down and eat a whole steamed cauliflower (with cajun spices, of course). I just had some as an afternoon snack :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

3. Jessica says

When preparing the cauliflower, do you only use the flower parts, or also the white stems? Thanks! Can’t wait to try this! My husband and I are on the South Beach diet and we’ve been craving pizza!

4. says

I made this recipe today for my family. We love pizza but our 5 year old daughter has a severe allergy to yeast so she cannot eat regular pizza dough, when I seen this I was very excited to try it and it was EXCELLENT!! My entire family loved it…thank you sooo much for posting this recipe!!

• says

Julie if there is one thing I love, that is when someone tries something I’ve posted and lets me know how they liked it. Your post made my day, I’m so glad you guys enjoyed it. It’s so delicious! Thanks so much for the great comment.

5. San says

Interesting…I have got to try this!!! I simply love Pizza!! But I’m cutting calories & watching my blood pressure. So I think this wold be great & healthy!! Thanks Nicole!!! Love you girl!!

6. Nichole F says

Do you have any recommendations on keeping it from sticking? I sprayed the sheet with cooking spray and it stuck both times. Still made it work and it is delicious even my 3 yr old loved it :-). Thank you!

7. says

@Nichole – I actually used a lot of cooking spray the first few times I made it. It still sticks a bit. I have more recently started spreading a generous amount of olive oil across the pan instead of the cooking spray. I feel like it might stick a little less with that than the cooking spray.
    I strongly recommend using a thin spatula to lift the pizza and do it as soon as it comes out instead of allowing it to cool. That should help.

@Lisa – The pizza stone really doesn’t seem to allow the crust to cook evenly – it can be done, but the results are not the same.

Thank you all for the great comments! I’m so glad you love it.

8. Pam says

AWESOME!! I made it tonight but changed things up a bit. Rather than using sauce, I used a layer of non-fat mozzarella cheese, then another layer of spinach, mushrooms, jalapenos, peppers… but the grand finale: I took two eggs and pressed lightly to form a shallow “bed.” I then cracked the egg and baked it… runny yolks with the spinach and peppers and spices was out of this world! All thanks to the crust :) Thanks for sharing!!

9. Megan says

This recipe sounds absolutely amazing! And my husband is gluten-free (and misses pizza so desperately) so this would be wonderful!!! Thank you so much for sharing, I look forward to trying this recipe and some of your other tasty treats :)

Blessings to you,
    Megan

10. Amy says

Just tried this today and it was AWESOME! Unfortunately I measured a cup of cauliflower BEFORE cooking it, so it was only about 1/2 a cup once it was cooked, so I halved the recipe. It made for a very small pizza but was still out of this world! Next time I’m going to quadruple it and make tons of pizza. Thanks so much!

11. Jackie says

Would you happen to know the carb count on the pizza? It sounds wonderful and I am planning on trying it and sharing it with my other low-carb friends! Thanks so much for posting this!

12. says

Jackie, I do not have a carb count on this. But it’s limited due to the fact that there is no bread involved and most of the carbs come from what you put on the pizza.
    I guess a good measure would be to figure out how many carbs are in that much cauliflower and then add anything else you add to it.
    Seriously though, it is extremely low.

13. Stephanie says

I just tried this for the first time and IT IS AMAZING!!!!! Even my children liked it :) I am on a low carb diet and felt as though I was cheating!!!!

14. Hannah says

I made this tonight and it was AMAZING!!! I added a little extra cheese and subbed italian herb mix for straight oregano and topped mine with mashed black beans, feta, avocado, olives, cherry tomatoes, red pepper flakes and some bacon on the mister’s…so.good. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE RECIPE!!

15. Nancy says

What if you don’t have a microwave? Couldn’t I just steam the cauliflower for a couple of minutes before ricing?

16. Allison says

This was DELICIOUS! I have to admit, I was skeptical at first. It was so good, I can’t wait to have left overs tomorrow. It took everything in me to stop eating the pizza so I could enjoy it again tomorrow. I read the comments first about olive oil, parchment paper and not letting the pizza sit for too long before eating it. I used parchment paper, olive oil, used a large spatula to remove it from the parchment paper onto a plate and inhaled it. :) Thank you for such a great recipe!

• says

I’m really not sure Sia. I haven’t had to make it dairy free, and the cheese is what helps to hold the crust together. Hopefully someone else will pop in who may have a solution. I’m sorry.

• CJ says

Sia,

I just made this last night using Daiya, a soy/dairy/lactose free cheese, and it came out wonderfully delicious!

17. says

You were our Secret Recipe Club assignment this month and we selected this recipe, as we are huge fans of pizza and eat it once a week. This was a great recipe. I definitely had to go into it open minded. I mean, cauliflower? But it really came out quite amazing! We are going to make it again.

18. Melinda Houttuin says

I tried this about 10 minutes ago and WOW is all I have to say. I was skeptical at first most pinterest things I try fail horribly but this turned out amazing. Perfect size. I used a metal pie pan and it was the perfect size and the pizza never stuck. I added BBQ sauce to my tomato sauce and onions, mushrooms, pineapple, sausage and pepper jack and mozzarella cheese. Wonderful WONDERFUL WONDERFUL! Thank you

19. Kimbre says

I am a Celiac and if there’s ONE thing I miss terribly it’s pizza!! I’m going to try this recipe tomorrow with my oh so picky daughter!!! Can’t wait! Thanks for posting!!

20. Danita says

This recipe is unbelievable!!!!! And so quick to make!
    Works with any topping, and tastes great cold for breakfast.
    Finally a REAL PIZZA for those going wheat-free.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

21. Ashley says

I’m so excited to try this! My husband LOVES pizza and isn’t a big fan of veggies. (Same with my 3 year old. I wonder where she got it?? Lol.) I’ve been looking for ways to trick them to eat healthier and I believe this is going to be a hit! I can’t wait!!!

22. JW says

Hi, can’t wait to try this! Have you tried it on a baking/pizza stone? I don’t really have a pizza PAN per se and always end up using a stone to cook crusts. Will it stick or burn?

• says

I have not tried it on a baking stone, mostly because you have to spray the pan so well with oil, so it doesn’t stick that I would be concerned it would stick. You can use a regular cookie sheet instead and just shape the pizza to fit inside that pan.

Trackbacks

1. [...] the size of my head last week in our farm basket. Game on.  I combined two recipes, one for the cauliflower crust and another for the kale/chicken (ok, all I really got from this one was to marinade the chicken [...]

2. [...] Should Rob decide to order some bread bowl pasta from Domino’s instead, he can expect to rack up between 1340 to 1470 calories, and between 48 to 56 grams of fat.*** Rob would be much better off making a quick pizza at home to satisfy his cravings. We recommend nonfat cheese, tons of veggies, and a whole grain crust. For an added bonus, the really ambitious chefs can try making a crust out of cauliflower. [...]

3. [...] – Eats – Cauliflower pizza base – I will be trying this as soon as I have an oven – Yum and its carb [...]