Fluffy white cake with coconut, pineapple and topped with a Maraschino cherry, this Tropical Pina Colada Poke Cake, is so much fun no matter what time of year you make it!
It’s that time once again, Secret Recipe Club reveal day and I am super excited.
You see, it’s not that I haven’t had this blog before, in fact, I have.
But it’s that I know her, and have been friends with her for YEARS now.
Her blog was difficult for me to choose from because I love her food and her recipes and we love the same things and well, deciding on her Pina Colada Poke Cake was much harder than you think.
The list was long – we thought about her Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad, Grilled Mexican Chorizo Pizza and Bacon Cheeseburger Ravioli on the savory side of things.
We picked the cake after considering Banana and Pistachio Pudding Pie, Peanut Butter Mini Bundt Cakes and Pumpkin Spice Latte Poke Cake on the sweet side of things.
This month I was assigned Cooking Mimi. Micha has been my friend since July of 2011 when we met during a 31 Days to Better Blogging challenge we both took part in.
Since then we have done all sorts of things together on our blogs, we are part of most of the same groups and we had a fabulous time last year doing a 12 Days of Sweet Eats and Holiday Treats Challenge.
Thinking we need to do that again this year (what do you say Micha?).
Anyway, I digress.
Micha makes great food and if you haven’t already checked her blog out, you really need to.
Plus she’s a total sweetheart so you just need to get to know her.
I chose her Pina Colada Poke Cake because I am just a little in love with poke cakes which may or may not be kinda evident in the pics below:
But beyond my love for poke cakes, I’m also wanting to celebrate the end of summer and the transition into Fall. 🙂 Perfect, right?
Oh but one step further.
My man loves everything coconut and pineapple and cannot get enough.
I knew this was the right cake to make when I saw it.
I only made a small tweak.
- I substituted Cream of Coconut (found in the liquor aisle but non-alcoholic) for the coconut milk and because I used Cream of Coconut, I left out the sweetened condensed milk because the cake was already very sweet. It was SO good!! Either way you make it it’s delicious!
and now this awesome Tropical Pina Colada Poke Cake
Recipe for Tropical Pina Colada Poke Cake
Tropical Pina Colada Poke Cake
- 1 18 ounces box yellow white or coconut cake mix PLUS ingredients called for on box (eggs, oil, water in most cases)
- 1 20 ounces can crushed pineapple DO NOT DRAIN
- 1 cup cream of coconut found in the liquor aisle
- 1 8 ounces container whipped topping thawed (or make your own homemade)
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Maraschino cherries and pineapple rings for garnish
- Follow the directions on the box to bake the cake in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Poke holes in slightly cooled cake with the handle of a wooden spoon or wide straw.
- In a bowl mix together the crushed pineapple and cream of coconut. Pour over cake and spread pineapple over surface.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled. About 1-2 hours.
- Spread whipped topping over cake and sprinkle coconut over the top, garnish with maraschino cherries and pineapple rings.
- Store in refrigerator.