Spicy Gingerbread with a Mocha Glaze
Spicy gingerbread with a sweet mocha glaze, a fabulous dessert, great gift idea or just to enjoy with some coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
There is nothing worse than when a natural disaster strikes. With or without warning, there is no limit to the damage that can be done or the path it will take. Thus was the case with Hurricane Sandy. I’m in the midwest, so I only have experience with Tornado’s which are equally a devastating and I’m only a few hours away from Joplin which is an area most are familiar with when the entire town was essentially destroyed in a tornado.
This week’s #SundaySupper theme is designed to raise awareness and #helpinghands and giving back to those that were affected by the devastation that Sandy left in her path. Many celebrated Thanksgiving without loved ones, or very far away from home, because home is beyond repair.
It’s at this time that family, friendship and comfort are needed most. My recipe today is one of my favorite winter comfort foods – gingerbread. I am a gingerbread addict and could eat it nearly everyday. I love to give it as gifts, to my friends when they are sick and to take to nursing homes at holiday time.
They are spicier than traditional gingerbread and covered in a simple, transparent coffee glaze.
Breakfast and Brunch:
- 12-Grain Buttermilk Pancake Mix from What Smells So Good
- Cranberry Bread from Home Cooking Memories
- Cabbage Koftas from Soni’s Food
- Italian Wedding Soup from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Manhattan Clam Chowder from Noshing with the Nolands
- Comforting Broccoli Cheese Soup from Juanita’s Cocina
- San Antonio Chicken Tortilla Bake from The Weekend Gourmet
- Peruvian Steak and Potato Stir-fry from Hip Foodie Mom
- Sweet and Sassy Pineapple Stuffing from In the Kitchen with KP
- Pound Cake Loaf from Magnolia Days
- Fall Apple Pie from Cravings of a Lunatic
Let’s see even more of the BEST Gingerbread recipes!
Gingerbread Caramel Popcorn
Spiced Gingerbread Pancakes
Gingerbread Puppy Chow Snack Mix
Recipe for Spicy Gingerbread with a Mocha Glaze
Spicy Gingerbread with a Mocha Glaze
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup molasses
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of doubled brewed mocha flavored coffee
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a mini loaf muffin pan.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixed ingredients.
- In separate bowl, beat the egg with the applesauce, oil, molasses and sugar, mixing well. Pour the wet mixture into the well you made in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Mix everything together just until it is moistened.
- Add the water and mix until incorporated.
- Fill prepared mini loaf pans two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the loaves cool in the pan on a wire rack. Remove when cool.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar with the double brewed mocha coffee until there are no lumps. Brush the glaze on each of the gingerbread loaves.
- Sprinkle each loaf with some powdered sugar. Enjoy!
what a perfect treat – absolutely spot on for the season, too!!
Spicy gingerbread is by far the best. They look adorable Nicole! Perfect seasonal gifts. Happy Sunday!
Those loaves look so appealing!
Oh, the wonderful aroma of gingerbread baking in the oven. And the taste of all those spices. Super yummy! Plus it is one of my husband’s favorite sweet breads.
These look and sounds amazing. I love gingerbread cookies but I’m not sure I’ve ever had gingerbread in a loaf form. They sound great!
Love this mini loaves… they look delish!
I love that you made the little mini loaves too, they are so sweet. Gingerbread and mocha now has be intrigued. You know I love my mocha too! Great pics, Nicole!
I want to drown myself in mocha glaze.
Ummm…yes? I love the mocha glaze here…I’m betting it really stands up well against the spices in the bread. I’ve never met a gingerbread latte I didn’t like, so this flavor combo is really nice to me!
These sound and look delicious! I love that they are dairyfree 🙂
These are the cutest loaves of gingerbread and look so warm and delicious.
Yumm ! Gingerbread is one of my favs & a mocha glaze sounds heavenly ! Must try that. Everything in this recipe looks so delish !
Mmm you got me with both gingerbread and mocha!
Lovely pics of these cuties!Love the mocha and all the spices too 🙂 Perfect treats to comfort anyone!!Bookmarked 🙂
Love all the spices going into these cute little loaves. Yum!
What beautiful little gingerbreads! I can’t imagine tornadoes. While much of the damage from hurricanes can’t be prevented, at least you have time to prepare, unlike when a tornado strikes. This Jersey girl thanks you for helping raise awareness for Sandy victims!
These make perfect gifts! Absolutely! Perfect for not only the season, but for comfort too. Nicole, these are lovely! I’m imagining the aroma now… and then the first bite… I’m so gonna make this!
Nicole, I love gingerbread too – the mini-loaves are just adorable! It would be very easy for me to eat too many of these. And yikes – tornadoes totally freak me out. I hope you haven’t directly experienced one (and hopefully never will!).
This is pure comfort food! How I want to inhale all those marvelous spices and help myself to slice after slice of your lovely gingerbread. I’m certain it would bring a smile to any recipient!!!
Such a wonderful gift and warming comfort
Tornadoes have always freaked me out. My dad took some crazy photos of some of the homes and surrounding areas he worked on after the tornadoes in Joplin. But I must say these sound amazing. I know those would cheer me up if you brought them to me. 🙂
This spicy gingerbread looks delicious!! And perfect for the holidays! Love this!