This is a super easy recipe for how to make Bread Bowls. It’s delicious and just perfect for dinner tonight filled with a nice hot soup.
These bread bowls are perfect for soup, stews, dips, sauces and more!
I love serving our soup or chili’s in a fun way, and I am often asked how to make bread bowls.
This recipe is always my go-to recipe for that. It’s fairly simple and while it does have a rising period, it’s not as bad as some breads.
What I love about it, is that if I plan ahead I can add fresh herbs and different spices and seasonings to the bread dough to make delicious flavored bowls too.
Don’t be afraid to experiment. We’ve come up with some amazing flavors that serve to compliment the soup that is placed inside. Yum!
Soup Recipes To Use
Now that you know How to Make Bread Bowls, will you try it?
Recipe for Baked Bread Bowls
How to Make Bread Bowls with a Great Recipe
- 2 .25 oz. pkgs. of active dry yeast
- 2½ cups lukewarm water 75-80 degrees
- 1 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder or another seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6½ cups bread flour yes you can use regular all purpose flour, I just enjoy bread flour more
- 1 Tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoons water
- You’re going to start out by proofing the yeast. In a large bowl, pour the warm water, the yeast and the sugar and stir together. Let sit for 10 minutes or until foamy. Then you’ll know it’s ready. Now stir it all up really good. I’ve found that a chopstick actually works better than a spoon since the yeast is so sticky. Mix it really well.
- Now add the salt, the garlic powder, the oil and 3¼ cups of the flour to the yeast mixture and beat well.
- Now it’s time to stir in the remaining flour ½ cup at a time until it’s all in there. Beat well in between each addition.
- When the dough has finally pulled together, knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle the cornmeal on the sheet.
- Separate the dough into 5 equal round pieces of dough and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cover the pan with a warm damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, which takes about an hour or so.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg white and the tablespoon of water together.
- Brush each bowl with the egg/water wash.
- You can also add any extra flavorings here – dried or fresh herbs, seasonings or parmesan.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
- Cool them on wire racks.
- When you’re ready to make the bowls, cut a circle into the top of each of the loaves and scoop out the bread leaving about a ½-3/4 inch thick crust of bread.
- Fill the bread bowls with soup, chili or dip. Delicious!
Linked up to: Bake Your Own Bread,