Coffee cake in a single serve muffin! Soft and fluffy! How great are these coffee cake muffins? They are absolutely delicious!
This is my first themed reveal with Secret Recipe Club since they started doing themed reveals.
Essentially when a month has an extra week, there’s a theme assigned and we pick a recipe that goes well with that theme.
I chose these coffee cake muffins at the request of my teenagers because they thought they were the perfect BACK TO SCHOOL RECIPE for breakfast with a glass of milk or cup of coffee.
Yes, my teens drink coffee. Yes, I’m that mom.
Get over it. I did. I drank coffee at 13 and I’m fine. They weren’t allowed until 16 and up.
Anyhooo…… onto this months recipe.
This is such a fun recipe and follows our Back to School theme this month.
We were looking for a great weeknight meal, but why not a great weekday breakfast instead?
Plus it’s a make-ahead muffin, even better!
My teenagers totally wanted to make this recipe after they found it on her blog.
These Coffee Cake Muffins were exactly what they were wishing for.
Since they wanted to make them on their own, I let them make the final choice and these were it.
There was only one small omission and a slight change.
The original recipe added dried cherries and blueberries to the batter, so you can do that!
It sounded good, but we didn’t have on hand.
Fall Coffee Cake Muffins
My teens instead decided to add some pumpkin pie spice (can you tell they are ready for Fall?) to both the batter and the “streusel”.
I know they could have probably added pumpkin to the batter, but they aren’t that advanced just yet.
They also decided to dip the muffins at the end after they had baked, so they used the streusel topping a little different.
Coffee Cake Muffins Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Spice Coffee Cake Muffins
For the Topping:
- 1 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
For the batter:
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and white sugar until it is light and fluffy. Then add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the streusel topping. Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
To Make the Topping:
- In one bowl, melt the butter. In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Dip the tops of the muffins in the butter and then dip into the sugar spice mixture. Twist the top around to really get it coated. We double dipped most of them. Butter, sugar-spice, butter, sugar spice.
- Eat for breakfast or after school, to get ready for Fall! YUM!