Coffee cake in a single serve muffin! How great are these coffee cake muffins? They are absolutely delicious!
This is my first themed reveal with Secret Recipe Club since they started doing themed reveals. Essentially when a month has an extra week, there’s a theme assigned and we pick a recipe that goes well with that theme.
I chose these coffee cake muffins at the request of my teenagers because they thought they were the perfect BACK TO SCHOOL RECIPE for breakfast with a glass of milk or cup of coffee.
Yes, my teens drink coffee. Yes, I’m that mom. Get over it. I drank coffee at 13 and I’m fine. They weren’t allowed until 16 and up. Anyhooo…… onto this months themed assignment. My assignment is for this reveal is Sarah from the site OreosandCoolWhip.Blogspot.com.
Sarah has the most delectable list of recipes in her Recipe Index and it was NOT easy choosing one that follows our Back to School theme this month. This Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake would make a GREAT weeknight meal for back to school, for sure!
Plus it’s a make-ahead meal, even better! We are definitely going to make this Shepherdopolous Pie, because it also looks like a fantastic school night dinner and I think would be a huge hit!
My teenagers totally wanted to make this recipe after they found it on her blog.
These Coffee Cake Muffins were exactly what they were wishing for. Since they wanted to make them on their own, I let them make the final choice and these were it.
There was only one small omission and a slight change. Sarah added dried cherries and blueberries to her batter, which sounded good, but we didn’t have on hand. My teens instead decided to add some pumpkin pie spice (can you tell they are ready for Fall?) to both the batter and the “streusel”. They also decided to dip the muffins at the end after they had baked, so they used the streusel topping a little different.
Want to know how to make Coffee Cake Muffins?
Pumpkin Pie Spice Coffee Cake Muffins
For the Topping:
- 1 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the batter:
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and white sugar until it is light and fluffy. Then add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the streusel topping. Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
To Make the Topping:
- In one bowl, melt the butter. In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Dip the tops of the muffins in the butter and then dip into the sugar spice mixture. Twist the top around to really get it coated. We double dipped most of them. Butter, sugar-spice, butter, sugar spice.
- Eat for breakfast or after school, to get ready for Fall! YUM!
Secret Recipe Club