Light and fluffy and easy to make, this Basic Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe is the perfect addition to your arsenal of recipes! It also makes a great base for flavored recipe too!
I am a firm believer that every home cook needs an arsenal of basic recipes for things we enjoy making. This Basic Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe has been around in our family for awhile. It’s incredibly easy, and your pancakes will turn out light and fluffy every time.
Why you’ll love these pancakes
- so fluffy and soft
- easy to whip together
- great for batch cooking and freeze well
- a great starting point for hundreds of combinations
Make Ahead and Storage
These pancakes are excellent made ahead. They remain fluffy and soft even reheated.
Make up a batch ahead and decide whether you plan to refrigerate or freeze them.
These store beautifully in your refrigerator for 5-7 days. Simply store in an airtight container or ziptop bag and remove a serving, heat in the microwave about 45 seconds to a minute and add your butter, syrup or whatever.
Of course this is our favorite method. Double, triple or keep going and make as many pancakes as you want ahead of time. We find these pancakes do very well in the freezer with little change at all for up to six months. Make them up, allow them to cool completely and separate them into individual ziptop sandwich bags. Freeze for up to 6 months.
Topping and Mix In Ideas
We have dozens of ideas for making these your own, just check out our pancake toppings and add ins. The pancakes come out fluffy, soft and incredibly delicious.
This is a great basic recipe, and can be kicked up up a notch and made into even more delicious pancakes!
- fresh fruit
- chocolate chips
- shredded coconut
- flavored extracts
- food coloring to make them colorful or to match an event
- different types of syrup like our cranberry syrup, candy corn syrup or even honey
- fresh herbs
- cinnamon or other spices
- or check out our guide to the best toppings and mix ins for pancakes
Or it can simply stand all on it’s own as your go to Basic Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe like we use it.
PRO TIP: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, make your own buttermilk easily.
Basic Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Lightly grease your griddle and preheat.
- In a large bowl, mix up the flour, salt, sugar and baking soda. Add the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract and butter. Mix until incorporated. Do NOT overmix. Batter will be thick, lumpy and kind of puffy.
- Spoon the batter onto the griddle. Use the back of a spoon if you need to spread it out a little.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes per side or until pancakes are golden.