Salmon Bites with Herbed Cream Cheese
The perfect party food really, in fact – it’s one of those things you can bring with you to a party and pretty much ensure they’ll be gone pretty quickly. We call them Salmon Bites because they are bite size slices if you roll them tightly before cutting.
These can be changed up and just about anything added – maybe Ham Bites or Roast Beef Bites or whatever delicious combo you can think of. We also often make them with our own homemade flour tortilla recipe . Homemade flour tortillas are delicious, and can be made with flavors as well as plain. My flour tortilla recipe that we use is to die for, but I did not use it for these pictures – but never fear – you totally can!
If you love smoked Salmon these are terrific with the smoked salmon as well, but we just use a plain salmon because, well – it brings out the flavors of the garlic in the cream cheese, and just tastes amazing. We don’t just make these for parties either, we make these in the middle of the afternoon when we need a before dinner snack. We are also known to bring them with us on a picnic because they are the perfect finger food. My kids even call them Sushi and enjoy eating them with chopsticks. No, I am not kidding.
The fun part is, you can buy flavored cream cheese to change up the flavors as well, but I usually just use different types of herbs that I mix in – fresh from my own herb garden. Sometimes when I’m making up my flour tortilla recipe I also add some fresh herbs that match the recipe, just to give them even more flavor. So good!
Salmon Bites Recipe
- 8 flour tortillas (we used Spinach Tortillas but you can use regular)
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of garlic, minced (I usually use a little more)
- a pinch of salt & pepper (if desired, add before spreading the cream cheese and mix well)
- 1 pound of thin salmon
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, the chopped cilantro, the chopped parsley and the minced garlic.
- Using store bought, or homemade flour tortillas, lay the tortilla on a flat surface and spread with a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture.
- Lay pieces of the salmon on top.Roll the flour tortilla up. Slice into ½? slices.
- If you find the tortilla’s are starting to unravel (usually the cream cheese mixture holds them together), you can use a toothpick to hold them together. Usually they don’t last long enough for us to need to.
See, I told you – really simple! Eat them anytime, but make them up fresh for parties with your own flour tortilla recipe and special herbs added to the cream cheese for a delicious treat that will go fast!
On the page with my flour tortilla recipe I also have some suggestions on making seasoned or herb versions. Be sure to check it out.