Grilled cheese is a family favorite around here. We love everything Grilled Cheese and just by looking around my blog a bit you might actually notice our love for grilled sandwiches in particular. Did you know that there are a million different ways to create different kinds of grilled sandwiches and that there is now a book that will show you 150 different ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich?
Plus, how can you not love something that the kids can make themselves too?
When I got my hands on a copy of 150 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, we set to work immediately making several of the delicious recipes inside. I’ve never made a dessert grilled sandwich so of course, we selected the Brie & Raspberry Panini with Hazelnut Spread as the jumping off point and we’ve been hooked on this cookbook ever since! There are so many different combinations and variations that there is nothing traditional about this book – wonderful recipes with new, unique flavors and recipes. And I have to try them all. No, seriously – you need this book, and you need to try them all.
150 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches is filled with great recipes for all types of grilled variations of sandwiches. I love all the different breads that are used, cheeses – oh the cheeses – so many choices, and then the other fillings. There are just so many to choose from.
The classic grilled cheese sandwich is now one of the biggest trends in cooking and is enjoying an incredible resurgence in popularity. Top bloggers, NPR and television networks report that grilled cheese sandwiches are one of the top food trends to watch out for — many have even said that “grilled cheese is the new burger.” Specialty restaurants are popping up all over the country, and many established chefs are tweaking their menus to include their take on this beloved comfort food.
Best of all, grilled cheese sandwiches are easy to make, so they’re ideal for college students, beginner cooks and even kids who want to help out in the kitchen. Whether you like to enjoy your sandwich with soup in the winter or with seasonal summer produce, these classic and new recipes fit the bill.
These fabulous recipes all begin with the theme of the grilled cheese we all love and then throw in a few creative twists to show how incredibly versatile this sandwich can be.
- Easy melting cheeses can be found most anywhere and include American, Brie, Cheddar, Colby, fontina, Gouda, Gruyère, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Monterrey Jack, Mozzarella, Muenster, Provolone and Swiss.
- Other cheeses that melt and pack great flavor include Asiago, Blue Cheese, Goat Cheese, Gorgonzola, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 8 slices sourdough bread (1/2? thick)
- 2 Tablespoons of butter, softened
- ¼ cup chocolate-hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
- 4 ounces of Brie, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh raspberries, chopped (about 2 ounces)
- Brush one side of each bread slice equally with butter. Place bread on a work surface, butter side down. Spread 4 bread slices equally with chocolate-hazelnut spread, Top with Brie and raspberries, Cover with remaining bread slices, butter side up, and press together gently.
- Place sandwiches on preheated panini grill or in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, turning once if using a skillet, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Alison Lewis is a nationally known recipe developer, television and social media food spokesperson and consultant, mom food blogger, food educator, food photographer/stylist and nutritionist, and is president of Ingredients, Inc., a food consulting company in Birmingham, Alabama.
248 pages total • 7″ x 10″ • ISBN 978-0-7788-0412-3 • 24 color photo pages • Index
$24.95 CA / $24.95 US / £16.95 UK • Publication date: October 2012
By the same author: 400 Best Sandwich Recipes
Disclosure: I received the 150 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Cookbook by Alison Lewis in order to facilitate my review. No other compensation was received. This product review is based on my own personal experiences with this book and is completely honest and objective.