This Berry-licious Sweet Basil Smoothie is AMAZING! Strawberry Blackberry Sweet Basil Smoothie
We’ve spent the past two days doing massive loads of laundry, making lists, planning out a meal plan for the weekend. It’s been very hectic and not much fun. But one sip from this delicious Strawberry Blackberry Sweet Basil Smoothie, and I was in heaven.
We have a re-enactment event this weekend at Fort De Chartres in Illinois. We’re leaving today and we’ll be back on Sunday. That’s 2 and a half days without technology, because you know – back in the 1800’s they had no cell phones, no laptops, no camera’s (but we smuggle them all in anyway). Smuggling them in really doesn’t do anything, since I can’t use Wi-Fi out there, and my cell phone battery will drain if I do too much with it, and of course uhm – no electricity at our normal campsites to charge it.
However, this weekend is a little different. Our fearless leader was able to get us a gym floor to sleep on. You might be thinking, who wants to sleep on a gym floor? Well, we do. Because it’s better than sleeping outside in a tent in the excessive heat and humidity on the hard, dirty, bug and spider infested ground. (okay so it’s not really that bad, but still…)
So of course, this means I will have an outlet to charge the cell and the Kindle. An outlet to plug in the computer so I can check photos I took each day and see what I need to try to get the next day. (I think I’m still the corps. assigned photographer) I’m very happy that technology will still follow me. This, this will make the weekend easier.
Oh did I forget to mention I am in charge of cooking for these 20 people – this weekend? And we have no kitchen, and no campfire (since we opted to stay in the gym). Can you imagine how much fun planning this was? I think we will eat well, however, thanks to help and getting ideas from past rendezvous events we’ve done. My van is packed to the brim and I don’t even have the five kids in there yet. The overflow has found it’s way over to hubby’s car – he’s only driving with us to our “meeting spot” and then he’ll be coming back home to relax all weekend, I’m sure.
I’m ready to go. I’m also nervous I’m forgetting something.
At any rate, after our long laundry session, our crazy few days of planning and organizing and buying and packing, we were so ready for a nice treat. It came in the form of this beautiful, delicious Strawberry Blackberry Sweet Basil Smoothie. Sorry about the cruddy photo- I didn’t have time to make it all pretty and set it up, and it was overcast and drizzling out when I took this. It was all I could get at the moment, but I figured the recipe more than makes up for the sweet little smoothie sitting all by itself.
Please enjoy, we sure did!
Strawberry Blackberry Sweet Basil Smoothie
Berry Sweet Basil Smoothie
A cool, refreshing smoothie – perfect for summer and full of healthy.
- 1/4 c. fresh sweet basil (do not try to use dry – it's not the same)
- 1 c. of fresh strawberries
- 1 c. of fresh blackberries
- 1 c. milk
- 2 Tbs. honey or agave nectar
- 1 c. ice
- Optional: You can switch out the 1 c. of milk with a 6 oz. container of yogurt – any flavor – go wild. We used vanilla, but the flavor combinations are pretty much endless. If you use yogurt, I strongly urge you to cut back on the amount of honey you use – you don't want it to sweet and you can always stir in some more at the end after a quick taste.
- Wash and slice the tops off the strawberries.
- Wash the blackberries.
- In a blender, pulse the sweet basil a couple of times until it’s pretty shredded.
- Add the strawberries and blackberries and blend well.
- Pour in the cup of milk (or yogurt), the honey or agave nectar and the ice. Blend until smooth.
Have you ever had a Strawberry Blackberry Sweet Basil Smoothie? Drop some Sweet Basil into your next smoothie and check out the flavor burst it gives it! Absolutely amazing!