Oh this wonderfully, beautiful salad screams Spring and at a time I am desperate for a change in weather.
It was all destined to be the death of me.
I make these salads all the time and the one depicted in the picture is one of my favorite ways to do it. However, when I decided to do it for today’s Spring themed #SundaySupper, I guess I got a little excited to soon.
You see, the very day I signed up, I knew I wanted to make one. I hadn’t had one since summer, and was craving that sweet strawberry flavor.
So I made one. See…
Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
Except, I forgot a few ingredients. Where’s the avocado, one of the key ingredients? But the Strawberry Vinaigrette turned out amazing so I enjoyed my salad without all the bells and whistles. I knew I just needed to get some avocado and we’d be fine.
Good thing I like the salad so much. It was time to make it again. And this time I had just gotten a large bag of meyer lemons and I though, hmm…. some sliced Meyer Lemon sounds good in that salad. Yes, that is what I will add when I add the avocado.
And I made it again. I love the pretty colors and the way the Meyer Lemon slices look in there. So pretty and the salad tasted amazing.
This was two days after I whipped up the vinaigrette. As you can tell it was thickening a bit being in the fridge. But the salad was so good.
Except, I forgot something. As I was stuffing my face with bite after bite of the delicious flavor combination, I realized I had forgotten something I adore about this salad. I forget the sliced almonds. That crunch I like with each bite.
Guess what that meant? Yep – I had to make it again. This one was 5 days after the original vinaigrette was made. It was NOTICEABLY thicker but oh so very good. In fact, it did see to get a better flavor with age, however the consistency was just really thick. This really didn’t bother me, since when I tossed it all about, the dressing really coated the spinach leaves and it was just a wonderfully, flavorful salad.
So as you can see, it really doesn’t matter what you add to it, because it’s just a great salad to do whatever with. I purposely chose Spring ingredients to fit our #SundaySupper theme, but you could toss in any veggies you wanted and enjoy an equally delicious salad.
Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 4 cups of baby spinach or 2 cups baby spinach 2 cups kale
- 2 1/2 cups of fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 Meyer lemon diced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 4 cups of sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of poppy seeds
To make the Dressing:
In a blender, blend the strawberries until pureed. Add the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and sugar and blend again.
Add the olive oil in and blend until the vinaigrette has thickened. Stir in the poppy seeds and you are ready to use it.
Stores in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To Make the Whole Salad:
Layer the baby spinach on a 2 small plates or 1 large plate.
Add the strawberries and avocado.
Divide the Meyer lemons among the two plates (or all on one).
Add the sliced almonds and drizzle with the wonderfully delicious Strawberry Vinaigrette you just made.
My friends and fellow #SundaySupper team are eager to celebrate Spring as well. Just look at these wonderful dishes they’ve brought you today!
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite Springtime recipes!
All you have to do is follow the TweetChat!, or you can follow us through