It’s a Mardi Gras #SundaySupper! (Fat Sunday, if you will)
I’m not from Louisana, but I have a strong connection to it. Many people don’t know that my ex husband (my children’s father) is from Louisana. I met him when I was 19. So before him, I really didn’t know much about Louisiana, Creole and Cajun Culture or Mardi Gras in general, including why it was celebrated or about any of the customary foods, etc..
It wasn’t long after we met that I got my first visit to New Orleans and my first taste of real Louisiana cuisine, which interestingly enough my ex husband doesn’t like most of, and I have been hooked ever since.
I enjoy visiting Louisiana occasionally and dining on true Creole food, because up here in Missouri, even the Cajun restaurants don’t really understand real Cajun or Creole food. Not that there’s too many of them, because there really isn’t. Which has left me to create the foods I love in my own kitchen when I am having a craving for them.
This is true with my love affair with beignets, which I have been enjoying since childhood. There is nothing like a traditional Beignets from the heart of Louisiana, but I don’t get down there often and the bakeries up here have no idea what they are doing.
I had my first beignet when I was very young, and used to think it funny that it was the Louisiana State Donut, since to me it didn’t seem like a donut.
However, my skinny version here is baked and not fried. You still get the same pillowy doughy square perfection coated in powdered sugar but without the extra fat and grease. You can’t beat that.
Skinny Baked Beignets
Don’t miss the other great recipes in today’s Fat #SundaySupper Mardi Gras lineup!
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Frostingfrom Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug w/ Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Nicole Cook is the owner/editor of Daily Dish Recipes, a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on food/cooking/cocktails and much more.
She calls the Midwest home – Missouri to be exact. Coffee is her go-to drink, music is her vice and she is endlessly tethered with devices to her online world. She loves all things planner, lives for her great big family and loves her pets endlessly!
Her motto in life: Live Simply, Dream Big, Be Grateful, Give Love, Laugh Lots. Always, always laugh lots.