Happy Mother’s Day to all my mom readers!!
Who doesn’t love chocolate for mother’s day? This moist, rich, Texas sheet cake is a family favorite and MY personal favorite since I was a child.
Being a mom is one of the most amazing jobs in the entire world. One of my favorite quotes sums it up best.
“Making the decision to have a child – it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ” ― Elizabeth Stone
And that’s no joke. I love my job as mom, even when they try my patience, act like teenagers and just generally annoy me. It’s still worth it for every hug, every utterance of “you’re the coolest mom”, every milestone (I have two graduating in 2 weeks) and every time they make me proud.
I learned everything about being a mom from my own mama. The good, the bad – what to do, what not to do. All of it. If not for her, I wouldn’t be who I am today. A mother’s touch is ingrained in us forever. Every precious story, loving hug and every memory.
So why did I choose this chocolate Texas sheet cake to celebrate Mother’s day this year?
Because this is the one food, the one thing I can eat, no matter where I am, who I am with and when I do, I will transcend time and my thoughts are immediately with my own mother. No other significant memory is associated with this cake, even though I’ve eaten thousands of them. Always my mama. And this is the one recipe that is strongest in memory association. You’re getting to see it today.
My mom has been making this cake since I was so little I couldn’t even stir the batter yet. Yes, that’s right and I’m turning 40 this year so I mean, that’s a long freakin’ time. And when I was old enough for her to start asking me what kind of birthday cake I want, I asked for it every single year for my birthday. And then I moved away from home, got married, had kids, got divorced and when I returned back home 2 weeks before my 28th birthday, my mom surprised me with a Texas Sheet cake. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER! And now I make it for my own kids. I hope they have the same sweet memories when they grow up and leave, about me, as I do about my mom.
Of course my mom’s recipe isn’t exactly as this one. We’ve made a few changes, a few ingredient tweaks and such and now this cake is just as perfect as the original “secret” recipe, my mom holds. And no matter how many times I google my moms recipe, I have never found an exact match – so it remains our family secret, I guess. But don’t worry – this cake is absolutely JUST as perfect as the original. I assure you.
Also, THIS is why I’m a mom – this is the message I woke up to on FB this morning from my 18 year old, almost graduated son!
Wouldn’t even matter if the whole day was bad, because just that little bit made the whole day perfect. 😉
Be sure and check out what the rest of the #SundaySupper crew is cooking up for Mother’s Day:
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Simple Gluten-Free Buckwheat Buttermilk Waffles from Buffy and George
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Starters and Sides:
- Crab Bread Pudding from Kimchi MOM
- Cream of Asparagus Soup from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
- Spring Orzo Pasta Salad from The Messy Baker
- Vegetable Tart from Sustainable Dad
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Bailey’s Caramel Apple Lava Dumplings from
- Blackberry Cobbler from Country Girl in the Village
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream fromNeighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Mum’s Strawberry Cake from My Cute Bride
- Pastel Imposible (Impossible Cake) from The Foodie Patootie
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, May 12th to celebrate Mother’s day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes that celebrate mom. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.