This flavorful, yet incredibly easy Bacon popcorn is the perfect after school snack or a great choice of popcorn flavors for movie night.
The old adage is “Everything tastes better with bacon” and I couldn’t agree more. I have not quite gotten into bacon in my cakes and cookies yet, like others, but I am willing to get there at some point, we’ll see. But I still have that firm belief that many things in life just go better with bacon. End of story.
About 10 years ago (maybe more… not real sure, I’m getting old lol) I was getting ready to teach a Freezer Cooking class at a local community center. The focus was on breakfast so I was making freezable breakfast sandwiches (my son’s favorite meal in the world) and making sure I had the correct amount of bacon for the sandwiches – yes hours before class – don’t judge, I’m a procrastinator. Plus we were out of them so I needed to make more anyway. I spent the better half of the morning getting some breakfasts cooked up and when I was done I had this huge thing of bacon grease, and an appetite, but it was truly time to go. I was trying to come up with something to make fast that I could take with me and popcorn was the thing I was aiming for. Long story short, I got this brilliant idea to use the bacon grease as the oil for the popcorn. I really was not sure if it would work or if it would even taste good. It does. I love it when inspiration hits in strange ways and I wind up concocting something new to me. We’ve been making this ever since and it’s delicious!
I also recently got a chance to try out Bacon Salt. Bacon Salt is a low sodium, zero calorie, zero fat, vegetarian and kosher seasoning that makes everything taste like bacon. In fact, it gives it a hickory smoked bacony flavor that emphasizes the already bacony flavor of the popcorn. But it’s not needed, it just enhances it. It’s wonderful. You should also check out all their other fun. No, I am not paid to say that, I just think there is some cute stuff there and if you’re a huge bacon fan… well, all the better!
And btw, I’ve now tried it on eggs, hamburgers, chicken, shrimp and fish. Ever had bacon flavored Salmon? OMG! Anyway, it’s amazing, you should try it, click on the link up there and go by some. AMAZING!
This makes a great snack, can be made ahead of time and is delightfully delicious!
Previous A-Z Entries:
- A – Avocado Fries with Garlic Lime Chili Aioli
- B – Bacon Popcorn
- C – Chicken Kiev with a Twist
- D – Basil Dip
- E – Real Chocolate Eclair Cupcakes
- F – Melted Brie and Bacon on Grilled Flatbread
- G – Grilled Creamy Parmesan Tilapia
- H – Spicy Jack Bacon Jalapeno Hamburgers
- I – Italian Beef Risotto
- J – Easy Jalapeno Poppers
- K – Kiwi Tropical Smoothie
- L – Creamy Pesto Linguine with Shrimp
- M – Nutella Breakfast Muffins
Okay, onto the yummy recipe.
Recipe for Bacon Popcorn
- Bacon grease – several tablespoons to ¼ cup depends on how much popcorn you make and how much bacon flavor you want
- 2 bacon strips crumbled (you can reserve the bacon grease from this)
- ¼-½ cup popcorn kernels depending on how much you’d like to make
- salt and/or pepper to taste or use bacon salt!
- Dump the bacon grease into a pot on your stove top. Heat on high and drop a couple (5) kernels into the grease. Cover. As soon as they pop, you know it’s ready. Don’t remove the lid too often, but if it gets steamed up, after a minute or two you can open the lid and check to see if they popped (its usually audible).
- Pour the rest of your popcorn kernels into the pot and replace the lid. Begin sliding the pot around on the stove, keeping the kernels moving inside the pot. This is so that they don’t burn. It took roughly about a minute to a minute and a half to pop all the kernels and we used ¾ c. of kernels. Just watch and keep shaking as much as possible.
- When the popcorn seems sufficiently popped, pour the popcorn into a serving bowl, or individual serving bowls. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top of the popcorn, add a little salt and/or pepper (or bacon salt) and eat and enjoy!