Simple, yet incredibly decadent cheesy Low & Slow Asiago Meatballs will be your new favorite go-to appetizer. The best part is that they can be changed up to fit your taste.
Be sure and check out the suggestions for making this recipe differently below!
Today is all about cooking Low & Slow.
This of course, prompted me to pull out the crockpot and whip up a batch of these delicious Asiago Meatballs. They are a favorite around our house as an appetizer, snack or even as a main dish.
Our favorite part about these meatballs, is they can be changed up with herbs and spices to change flavor and taste. This makes them pretty versatile and can be used for almost any event.
Make the recipe and add a teaspoon or so of the listed items to the sauce, before adding the meatballs.
- Mexican – Use jalapeno’s and cilantro.
- Italian – Use oregano, basil, thyme.
- French – Use bay leaf, parsley and thyme.
- Asian – Cumin, Five Spice and/or Tumeric
- Portuguese – Garlic, Coriander and Parsley. Add some chopped Chorizo… amazing!
The other part that is great about this dish, is simply that it can cook all day and you have the makings for a great after school snack or even the beginning of a great dinner. We love to serve these cheesy Asiago Meatballs over pasta (add 1 cup of heavy cream and ¼ cup of butter to sauce before adding meatballs) or brown rice.
As an appetizer, they go fast! You can either put them out on a platter with toothpicks or leave them in a small crockpot with a jar of toothpicks next to the crockpot. People love them, and might even wish to put a few on their plate at a time, so make sure you have a large serving spoon nearby too.
Don’t forget to check out the fabulous line up of recipes for today’s Low and Slow Meals
Low & Slow Breads & Starters:
Low & Slow Mains:
- Dry Rubbed Smoked Back Ribs from Noshing With The Nolands
- French Dip Sandwiches from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Sunday Gravy from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Minestrone Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pork and Sauerkraut Sandwiches from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rice, Bean and Vegetable Casserole from Happy Baking Days
- Sauerbraten from Magnolia Days
Low & Slow Sides:
- Caramelized Garlic in the Crock-Pot from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Roasted Balsamic Tomatoes from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Low & Slow Desserts:
- Slow-Cooked Gooey Pina Colada Cake from Juanita’s Cocina
Recipe for Asiago Meatballs
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 can of diced roasted tomatoes drained
- 16 ounce container of sour cream
- 2 cups of asiago cheese shredded
- 1 ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 6 oz cream cheese this time we used Savory Garlic Philadelphia Cooking Creme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic we left it out because we used the cooking creme
- 1 cup of green onions thinly sliced
- 2-3 teaspoons of herbs your choice – we used cilantro and basil
- 1 package 2 to 3 pounds fresh or frozen, fully cooked meatballs
- In a saucepan mix together all ingredients, except meatballs and allow to simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you want to serve the meatballs over a pasta or rice, add 1 cup of heavy cream and ¼ cup of butter to the sauce too.
- Add the meatballs to a crockpot set to low. Pour the sauce over the meatballs, cover and cook for 3-4 hours before serving.