It’s Monday! Hope it’s the beginning of a great week for all of you and that you had a wonderful weekend. It’s time once again, for This Weeks Cravings and our theme this week is Picnic Foods. In other words, what would you take with you on a picnic? We’re looking for new twists on picnic foods, or even just traditional picnic food recipes.
This fruit salad is delicious and really doesn’t even need to be prepared ahead of time. I will warn you however, it has a lot of coconut flavor, so if that’s not your thing – you won’t like it. But if you do love coconut, this delicious salad is for you. It is so good; creamy whipped coconut milk smothering fresh fruit slices, and the best part is – you can add and delete any fruit you want.
Coconut Milk Fruit Salad
Creamy and delicious, filled with fresh fruit and homemade coconut milk whipped cream. Great fruity, coconut flavor!
- 1 can of coconut milk made into Whipped Coconut Milk Cream (see recipe below on how to make that)
- 2 Tbs. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. coconut flakes (sweetened or unsweetened - your choice)
- 3-4 Kiwi, Sliced
- 2-3 c. strawberries, sliced
- 2-3 lg. bananas, sliced
- 1 c. pineapple (you can use canned pineapple but be sure to drain completely)
- 1 can mandarin oranges (or you can slice up fresh oranges)
- 1 c. halved cherries, remove the stems and pits
Whipped Coconut Milk Cream:
- You need to chill the cans of coconut milk overnight in your refrigerator. When you're ready to make the salad, open the cans and drain off the clear liquid. Transfer the cream to a mixing bowl and beat for about 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating until the coconut cream is nice and thick and fluffy.
Putting it all together:
- Add all of the fruit to a large bowl. Sprinkle the coconut flakes on top. Gently fold the whipped coconut milk cream through the fruit.
- For best results refrigerate for at least an hour or two, but its not necessary - tastes just as yummy fresh, but the cream is a little looser. Enjoy!!
What is your favorite Spring or Summer Salad? Do you have a favorite combination of fruit you enjoy?