Last year on my other blog, I ran a poll asking everyone to vote for their top 5 favorite handmade or frugal gifts that they would like to receive. Here is a compilation of the top 10 most chosen answers, and I have to admit, I totally agree.
- Framed Photograph
- A scented candle
- Plate of homemade cookies (brownies, breads, candies and cakes all made the top 20 too.)
- A CD or USB keychain full of music. (go to wal-mart – they are around $10 for the keychain).
- Fun coffee mug and a small bag of gourmet coffee or teacup and box of tea.
- A small houseplant – you can even paint a terra cotta pot to give with it.
- Journal and pen set.
- Pretty glass vase, bowl, dish, etc. filled with candies, marbles, stones, etc.
- Body wash, soaps, lotions, oils, etc. You can get them at discount chains. Find a nice scent, and buy the lotion and body wash and there you go. (Better yet, make your own!)
- Hand painted, decoupaged, decorated ‘anything’. (In the top 20 the following items were listed – wine or drink glasses, candle holders, shot glass, picture frame, vases, plates or platters, mugs and containers (boxes, baskets, etc.). Go to the dollar store and look around for anything you can paint or alter in some way. Great gift ideas, because you can make something really nice!
Gifts in a jar was the 11th most popular vote. Those are super easy and a really nice gift idea, so consider that too. I love frugality and I love the idea of giving a great gift, for little money. See, Christmas doesn’t have to break the bank.