This creamy Avocado Chicken Salad is to die for!
Good morning! Today begins the April A-Z Challenge and this is my 2nd year. I had so much fun last year. And only missed two days total. I would like to take a moment and give a special shout out to founder Arlee Bird over at Tossing It out. Without the genius that is his mind, we wouldn’t be doing this fun challenge. So a very special thank you goes out to you Arlee, I am so glad I saw this the first year (even if it was too late to participate – I caught on last year and I’m on board for as long as it goes).
So what is the A-Z challenge? In case you are just joining me today for the first time, I’ll explain briefly what it is. It’s a month long challenge where we post daily (except Sunday’s… we get those off) and we post in A-Z fashion. Obviously for this blog, it’s pretty easy to just come up with recipes that follow the A-Z theme and that is exactly what I’ve done. Any type of blog can participate in the A-Z challenge and it was started mostly for writers where they think of a word that begins with that letter and write about it. I’ve seen cleaning blogs, cooking blogs, crafting blogs, writing blogs and everything in between participate. Are you participating in the A-Z challenge this month? If so, leave me a comment below so I can come check our your posts and add you to my daily list of blogs to visit. I love comments, so I always leave comments on others.
So yep, that means you’re going to see a recipe from me every single day this month. Monday through Saturday is the Challenge and Sunday’s are always dedicated to #SundaySupper. So, you know. I’ve been busy!
Today is the Letter A and that brings me straight to Avocado’s which are my favorite fruit and I could eat them morning, noon and night. I chose a wonderfully, creamy Avocado Chicken Salad that I played around with until I got the flavor exactly right. You are sure to love it. And it can be changed and added to, to suit your needs. In fact, we usually add Black Beans to it, but I didn’t have any the day I decided to make this up to blog it. So feel free to add 1 cup of black beans if you’d like.
Last year I kicked off the challenge with an Avocado recipe as well. I made my wonderfully popular Avocado Fries with a Garlic Chili Lime Aioli. I had no idea last year when I made them, that they would take off like wildfire, but that they did. Consistently in my top recipes on my blog.
- 4 large avocados (2 for the recipe, 2 for serving, if desired)
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 6 oz container of plain yogurt (I used [Chobani Non Fat Plain|http://chobani.com/products/non-fat-plain/] )
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1½ cups of cooked chicken breast, shredded
- ¼ cup of cooked bacon, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded cheese for garnish, if desired
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the yogurt, green onions, garlic and cilantro together. (I used my stand mixer bowl)
- Slice two large avocados in half. Remove the pits. Scoop the avocado flesh out of the shells and add to the yogurt mixture. Discard the avocado shells and the pits.
- Slice the lemon in half. Squeeze one half into the avocado/yogurt to keep it from browning. (you want about 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice)
- Add a pinch or so of salt & pepper.
- I used my mixer to blend it all together. Just blend until creamy.
- Gently stir in the chicken breast and the bacon.
- Slice the last two avocados in half. Remove the pits and discard. You might want to scoop out a little of the avocado flesh to make it more like a "bowl". I just added it to my chicken salad. Use the second half of the lemon to squeeze into the avocados and kinda spread it all around with my finger to make sure that wouldn't brown either.
- Scoop the chicken salad into the avocado "bowls" and garnish with some shredded cheese if desired.
- Serve and Enjoy!
I really hope you love all the recipes I’ve put together for this month, I know I am excited to share them with you. I am also participating over on Crazed Mom where I will NOT be blogging recipes, but instead following the original intention of coming up with a word and blogging about it.
Check out my other recipes posted for the A-Z Challenge:
K - Key Lime Cookies
L – Lemon Donuts
N - Italian Nachos