It’s Secret Recipe Club reveal time once again! Are you wondering what that is? The Secret Recipe Club is a huge group of bloggers that are assigned a different blog each month that is kept secret until reveal day. We choose something to make from our assigned blog and on reveal day everyone finds out who had their blog and they get to reveal themselves to their secret blog. It’s a lot of fun.
This month I was assigned Asiya’s blog – Chocolate & Chilis. She has so many delicious recipes over on her recipe index that it was really difficult for us to choose one. Since we haven’t done much on the sweet side of the spectrum for Secret Recipe Club in awhile, we decided to go with something sweet. It came to a final toss up between this beautiful eggless buttermilk raspberry cake and these Sugar Donut Cupcakes. We went with the latter because we were looking for something quick one morning for breakfast and decided to give these a go. They are quite similar to these delicious Pumpkin Pie Spice Donut Muffins we make, which is why I titled them muffins rather than cupcakes.
The texture of these little sugary gems is actually off just a bit from an actual sugar donut but the taste is so similar to some we get at a local bakery, it’s amazing. I am very happy we tried these and we will definitely be making them again. Thank you so much for a great recipe Asiya – we loved your blog and all of your tasty recipes!
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups cake flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk**
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease muffin tin with cooking/oil spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and egg together until light in color.
- In a small bowl sift the cake flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Stir until just combined being careful not to overmix.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups filling ¾ full. Bake 15-18 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once they are done, melt the butter and pour the remaining sugar into a small bowl. Roll one muffin in butter and then the sugar. Repeat with remaining muffins. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- * If you don’t have cake flour, replace 2 tbsp of the flour with cornstarch and sift several times. Asiya sifted 6 times.
- **Asiya says she never buys buttermilk. I do from time to time, but sometimes I don’t – this is one of those times – she does it the way I do it – add ¾ tbsp of lemon juice to a measuring cup and add enough milk to make ¾ cup. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. You can also use vinegar though I have never done that.
Check out all of my Secret Recipe Club Posts:
Bacon and Egg Muffins Cups
Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Cups
Curry Movie Popcorn
Southwestern Chicken Wraps
Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake Brownies
Chocolate Banana Brownies
Spicy Honey Brushed Chicken and Veggies
Rosemary Thyme Chicken Breasts
Homemade Lasagna, Poorman’s Garlic Bread and Camping Cake
Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus
Warm, Huggy, Gooey Quintiple Brownies