Sweet, tart raspberries step in and take over in this fun switch from the traditional shortcake. Raspberry Shortcake Double Stacks are the perfect dessert after a deliciously grilled meal (or any other meal)!
Dessert time! We have a love affair with Raspberries, and recently we had several containers and I wasn’t sure what to do with them. Does that ever happen to you? You have an abundance of something and you’re worried it will go to waste. So you start coming up with all sorts of complicated ideas for using them, when really something simple would be just as amazing.
In our family easy dessert recipes are a huge plus with so many activities, teenagers and our newest little addition at only two months old. We have our hands full, and still want to enjoy delicious homemade things so this is what we do. We make:
Raspberry Shortcake Double Stacks
Raspberry Shortcake Double Stacks
Sweet, tart raspberries step in and take over in this fun switch from the traditional shortcake. Raspberry Shortcake Double Stacks are the perfect dessert after a deliciously grilled meal!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Raspberry Sauce
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Extra Raspberries for garnish at the end
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a shortcake pan. (I bought mine off Amazon, but they are available in large kitchen stores too)
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the eggs for 4 minutes with the whisk attachment. Slowly add in sugar, a little at a time; beat until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder, and add to egg mixture until just combined.
- In a saucepan, heat ½ cup milk and 2 tablespoons butter until butter is melted.
- Pour into the batter a little at a time, mixing constantly with whisk attachment (this is important for the air and the leavening). Add vanilla extract.
- Pour into prepared shortcake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until cakes are golden color and a toothpick inserted in the center of them comes out clean, approx 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on cooling rack.
For Raspberry Sauce:
- Place raspberries, sugar and lemon in a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water and mix well, then add to the pot.
- Cook the whole mixture for 10-15 minutes, over medium heat and stir occasionally until raspberries are soft, juicy and you see the mixture thicken. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate for up to a week in an airtight container.
For Whipped Cream:
- In a bowl, pour in the heavy whipping cream, the vanilla extract and the sugar. Mix on low until you start to see some foam. Turn it up a notch and continue. Gradually turn it up a little at a time until you see the whipped cream start forming soft peaks. At this point, you will need to start watching carefully - you're aim is stiff peaks but it's VERY easy to over whip.
- Once it's ready, it can be used immediately, or It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days.
To Assemble Raspberry Shortcake Double Stacks:
- One Shortcake, topped with whipped cream and then raspberry filling.
- Top with a second shortcake and repeat. Sprinkle raspberries on top and on the plate. Serve!
We’ve been playing in the kitchen lately with fun ingredients and shortcakes, so more coming soon! We are loving easy dessert recipes and these Raspberry Shortcake Double Stacks are SUPER easy once you get all the ingredients together. Also, don’t be afraid to use store bought whipped cream or raspberry pie filling to make them a little easier. I guess if you wanted you could buy storebought shortcakes too, but the taste won’t be nearly as good!
Also, while you’re at it… looking for some delicious springtime recipes? Go check out the Sunday Supper Tastemakers and their large collection of amazing Springtime recipes. Scroll down to find the list!