Pineapple? Check. Rum? Check. Coconut? Check. All together, a fabulous french toast!
Why? Because it’s amazing!
A Pineapple Rum French Toast make-ahead breakfast is perfect for a fun weekend treat, or on a special holiday brunch menu. Dress it up or down depending on your mood. We love eating this at our house!
We enjoyed this delicious breakfast over Labor Day weekend with a friend who was staying with us. I love the ease of which this french toast is prepared. Make it ahead the night before and you have breakfast ready to be popped right into the oven with no prep work. You can’t beat that before having coffee in the morning.
We usually serve it with a side of bacon, sausage and eggs. But you can serve it with whatever you want. Dripping in syrup, this pineapple rum french toast is the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch.
Pineapple Coconut Rum French Toast
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 12 slices of bread
- 1 cup of brown sugar, divided into two 1/2 cup measurements
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, divide into 1 teaspoon measurements
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup of chopped pineapple (we used canned crushed pineapple for this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon of rum extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- Shredded Coconut, optional
- Melt the margarine and pour into a 9×13 pan.
- Layer 6 pieces of bread into the casserole dish. Spread the chopped pineapple across all the slices of bread (we used crushed pineapple so this was actually quite easy) (as if you were buttering a piece of bread).
- Sprinkle a ½ cup of brown sugar on top of the pineapple. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon across everything.
- Place the next 6 pieces of bread on top of each of the original slices, like a sandwich and repeat the process again. Layer of pineapple, layer of brown sugar. Sprinkle the other teaspoon of cinnamon across the top.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, the coconut milk and the rum extract together. Pour this over the entire dish.
- Cover with tin foil and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, overnight is MUCH better.
- Remove from refrigerator, leave covered and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove the tinfoil and return to oven for 10-15 more minutes. Serve!
- Sprinkle with some powdered sugar if you want. This can also be served with syrup, butter, whipped cream or just eaten plain. It is delicious!
- You can sprinkle the coconut in between each layer and then on top for a little more coconut flavor.
Have you ever had an overnight french toast casserole before? We make them seasonal to fit our mood, and the weather. A Pineapple Rum French Toast Casserole is perfect for summer, while my Pumpkin French Toast Casserole is perfect for our upcoming Fall Season. Whichever way you choose to eat it, it’s delicious!