Guess what time it is? If you said Secret Recipe Club reveal time, I’d say, you’re right! Mini Dark Chocolate Layer Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Strawberries was not only an easy choice, it was totally the right choice! Rich chocolate cake layers, a wonderful ganache frosting and we topped ours with sweet summer strawberries and even made a sauce to serve with each slice.This month I had Karen’s Kitchen Stories. She’s a new-to-me blog, that just joined Group A this month. I was excited to get someone new to our group, but I was even more excited when I opened her blog for the first time. OMG! Her recipe index is filled with so many recipes I’d love to try, I wasn’t sure how we’d ever choose. On our huge list of possibilities was Bacon, Leek and Cheddar Mini Quiches, Braided Lemon Bread with Blackberries, Black Coffee Ice Cream and Salmon Noodle Casserole. *sigh* If you even saw the original list. Seriously Karen, I’d love to eat at your house! We finally settled on her Tiny Chocolate Layer Cake with Sour Cream Ganache Frosting.
If you’re wondering why we chose this one? Because I had just recently purchased some mini cake pans for another recipe, and wanted to use them again. In Karen’s Tiny version, she used 4″ cake pans. Mine are actually 6″ so I doubled the recipe and decided to call them mini since mine weren’t as tiny as hers. Plus, MY “mini” helped me make these. Which was kinda fun to be in the kitchen together again. We don’t get to do that as often anymore. She iced and decorated this beautiful Mini Dark Chocolate Layer Cake and it looks AMAZING! Doesn’t it?
So other than doubling the recipe, I made it dark chocolate instead of chocolate and we added strawberries and really that’s because we had an over abundance of them right at the moment and we thought they’d really pop on the dark chocolate layer cake. We were not disappointed. At the very last minute, I made some strawberry sauce which we spooned onto the plate and served the slice of cake on.
I really cannot tell you how delicious this cake is. It’s moist, rich and a deep chocolate flavor. My kids loved a slice with a tall glass of ice cold milk. I enjoyed my slice with a cup of coffee. I don’t think it really matters how you eat it, as long as you do!
I have a confession to make. We made this for the Secret Recipe Club reveal, photographed and consumed it all within about 2 hours. I made another one the next day. Yes, it’s just that good. Plus it’s mini so it goes fast but it’s perfect for a fun weeknight dessert after a nice, light meal. It’s easy to put together and you can eat it plain with just the frosting and it’s just as yummy.
Mini Dark Chocolate Layer Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Strawberries
Rich chocolate cake layers, a wonderful ganache frosting and we topped ours with sweet summer strawberries and even made a sauce to serve with each slice.
Dark Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup special dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 18 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 6-inch cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, sugar, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter and half of the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. With a mixer, mix on medium low for about 45 seconds. Add the rest of the milk mixture, and mix on medium low for another 20 seconds.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a just a few crumbs.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans about 10 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out on a baking rack and cool completely.
- To make the ganache frosting, microwave the dark chocolate chips in a glass dish for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, until they are shiny. Remove from microwave and stir contiously and rapidly until smooth. Stir in the sour cream. Once combined, stir in the vanilla and salt. Allow to cool slightly until spreadable. If you let it go too long it will harden.
- Frost cake and Eat! YUM!
I really hope you’ll make this! You won’t be disappointed. Try it Karen’s way too, because the regular chocolate version would be just as tasty!