My mother always told me, when I got older time would fly. And fly it does. I don’t even understand where summer went? I blinked and it was gone. And now I am in Back to School mode, more than halfway through 2016 left completely dumbfounded at where all the time went. But Back to School mode has indeed arrived in my neck of the woods. That means busy schedules, easy meals and lots of one dish skillet meals. Like this delicious Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza.
This week the Sunday Supper tastemakers are bringing you a whole slew of amazing Easy Skillet Recipes for Back to School. From breakfast, to dinner and straight through to dessert, there is something that will please every pallete and these recipes are making me drool.
Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza is an Easy Skillet Recipe for Back to School
There are so many reasons this Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza is the perfect Back to School recipe. First, it’s mostly made right in the skillet and depending on your toppings of choice, it can be made entirely in one skillet. I use two, so I can cook up the sausage and bacon ahead of time along with any other ingredients I might want a little softer.
Another reason I love this pizza is that the toppings can be whatever you want. For this particular pizza, we had leftover sausage from another meal so I decided to use it. We load our pizza’s up with whatever toppings we are craving and that can be almost anything.
Our Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza has sliced Kielbasa sausage, bacon, baby spinach, green pepper, mushrooms and black olives. All layered on top of a creamy, white pesto garlic alfredo pesto sauce. The flavors of all of these different toppings makes every bite absolutely a burst of savory goodness.Also for my pizza, I used a storebought round pizza crust, but you can totally make your pizza crust from scratch (we certainly do from time to time). You cook the raw dough right in the skillet, again making the whole thing easy. This pizza took less than 15 minutes or so.
Ready to make a Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza?
- round pizza crust
- olive oil
- ½ - 1 cup white pesto sauce (we made ours homemade but there are storebought versions)
- sliced kielbasa sausage
- 3 strips of bacon, cut into smaller strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup of baby spinach
- ¼-1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup black olives
- 1 - 2 cups shredded cheese, we chose Provel (it's a St. Louis thing) but Mozarella is perfect
- Gather your sauce and pizza toppings together. If you have an raw toppings you want to cook, go ahead and get those done before starting the pizza.
- Turn your burner on medium-high heat. Coat your skillet with a very thin layer of olive oil and allow to begin heating.
- Place your round pizza crust into the skillet. Cook the pizza dough for about a minute or two. You will start seeing bubbles forming, you can pop them or just let them cook that way. After about a minute use a spatula to flip the pizza crust over. Immediately add your sauce and spread it around. Then sprinkle a generous amount of your cheese, follow with other toppings and if you want, add a bit more cheese (We do to kind of hold the toppings in place.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and reduce heat to medium. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Lift the pizza up and check for a golden color. Turn up if needed. We like our pizza a little thinner and crispier so we went a little longer to give it a deeper color. Go less if you want a softer crust.
- Pizza is finished when cheese is melted and bottom of pizza is a golden brown.
- Remove from heat and transfer the pizza to a cutting board. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, and then slice with a pizza cutter and serve. YUM!
The sauce and toppings can be changed up and this pizza can become anything you want it to. In the spring we made an asparagus & ham pizza that was incredible. There are so many delicious combinations that makes this meal one you can turn to time and time again. And if you want to make an adult pizza and a kid pizza, pick up a second skillet and you can make them simultaneously. Even if you don’t pick up a second skillet, this pizza is less than 10 minutes.
Wanna Bite of Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza?
Let’s see what the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are making!
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.