Do you smile when you think of citrus? Well, I do! And today I am bringing you these Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes and the Sunday Supper tastemakers are bringing you a whole TON of fantastic citrus recipes that will make you smile!We love citrus fruits at our house, whether its an ice cold beverage, a mixed drink, a dressing or marinade, salad or especially a dessert! And that’s what I have for you today! These Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes are a HUGE hit at our house and the pan goes fast! REALLY fast!It starts out with a simple lemon pound cake which is sliced in half and then filled with a creamy Key Lime filling. and then topped with a delicious Key Lime Frosting and sprinkled with coconut and Key Lime zest! Oh, and they aren’t just delicious! They are so pretty too!
Let’s make some Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes
Be sure and scroll down to see all the other citrus recipes shared by the Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
- This Lemon Pound Cake Recipe DOUBLED baked in a 9x13 pan
- See directions for important notes about this recipe.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed key lime juice
- ½ cup butter sliced
- 1 teaspoon gelatin, softened
- 1 key lime zested
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ teaspoon fresh Key lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1½ Tablespoon milk
- 1 drop green food coloring (optional)
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- Extra Key Lime Zest and Coconut (topping)
- Double the Williams Sonoma Lemon Pound Cake Recipe and pour into a 9x13 pan. With the doubled recipe, I found the time to be a little off. I kept the baking temp the same but I only went about 50-60 minutes before it was ready to be pulled. So just watch it so you don't burn it. Since everyone's ovens are different.
- In the top pan of a double boiler, whisk the eggs, sugar and key lime juice.
- Continue to whisk over medium heat. When the mixture starts to thicken, add a slice of butter, one at a time until you've added it all. Don't stop whisking. Keep whisking until the butter has completely melted. The mixture should be pretty thick.
- Pour the softened gelatin to the lime mixture.
- Remove from heat. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the mixture to ensure you don't have any clumps or egg pieces left.
- Stir the lime zest. Allow to cool in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Beat the butter, key lime zest, vanilla and salt until creamy. Add the remaining ingredients one at a time and fully incorporate before moving on to the next one.
- When you get to the powdered sugar do just a little at a time and blend completely before adding more.
- Remove the cake carefully from the baking dish to a cooling rack. Using a knife, and starting at one end, slice the cake like a "bun" making two. Set the top piece aside.
- Spread the Key Lime Filling across the bottom.
- Place the top piece back on top gently.
- Frost the cake with the Key Lime Frosting. Sprinkle the top with shredded coconut and more key lime zest.
- Place the entire thing into the refrigerator for about an hour to chill.
- Slice and serve!
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.