Here are a few recipes to try out. These have been eaten and enjoyed by my family multiple times, I hope your family enjoys them too!
French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup sugar divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (or almond) extract
- ½ cup pecans
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (some like more)
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Melt cream cheese in the microwave. Stir several times. This takes about 2 minutes. Stir half the sugar and all of the extract into the cream cheese.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the bread cubes.It will not completely cover them.
- Sprinkle nuts over the cream cheese layer. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- Beat together the remaining sugar, eggs, milk, cinnamon, and melted butter. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the bread cubes.
- Refrigerate overnight to bake the next morning OR slide the pan into a two-gallon freezer bag and freeze. Thaw completely to cook.
- When ready to bake – Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until browned. Let sit at room temp for 5 minutes before cutting. Top with syrup or fruit toppings.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup skim milk
- 5 teaspoon of jam or jelly of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin tray with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla extract and sugar for 1 minute in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the baking soda to the applesauce and wait for it to froth up. When it does, add it to the egg/sugar mix. Stir in the milk.
- Fold in all of the flour at one time until just combined – don’t beat as the muffins will be tough. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of mixture into each muffin cup, top with a ½ tsp of jam, cover with another dollop of mix, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- When reheating these muffins, just be careful because the jam/jelly filling gets hot.
- To reheat: Wrap muffin in a paper towel and microwave for 1½ to 2 minutes.