Our nights are so busy so anything I can do to make it easier is what I’m about these days. Back to school time is always a stressful, busy time for us, but that’s what happens when you have a big family. I usually get through it pretty easily, but occasionally dinner gets trickier when I’m trying to do everything at once. That’s where this Easy Weeknight Sausage and Rice Dinner comes in.
Now that my teens are older, they can often get dinner started for me, sometimes actually making the whole meal. They created this Easy Weeknight Sausage and Rice Dinner and I couldn’t be prouder or happier! (foodies in the making!)
Teenagers cook for me!
This Easy Weeknight Sausage and Rice Dinner was created by two of my teens at home one night trying to help us get dinner on the table so we could be somewhere else in an hour. It really was super easy. The pulled together a bunch of ingredients they thought tasted good together and went to work.
They simply sauteed chopped onions, diced tomatoes, bacon and garlic together in a pan. Sliced Kielbasa Sausage and added it to the pan too. Never to stay away from bacon, they tossed in some cut up bacon.They made up some instant rice, chopped up some herbs and mixed it all together with some white creamy mozzarella pasta sauce. To serve, they simply started with a layer of the rice on a plate. Then they topped it with the sauteed sausage, bacon and veggies. Top it all with a sprinkled of shredded cheese and some avocado slices and you have one heck of a meal!
In fact to quote Doug, “this is honestly one of the best meals I have had in a long while!” So I guess my meat and potato guy, really does love a dish that’s easy, as well as hearty with sausage and bacon, because… well, bacon. This Easy Weeknight Sausage and Rice Dinner was a hit with the whole family!
Want the recipe for this Easy Weeknight Sausage and Rice Dinner
- 3 cups of instant rice
- 3 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons minced italian herbs (basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1 jar of creamy white pasta sauce (we used creamy mozzarella, but alfredo sauce would be awesome too!)
- 4 strips of bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 14oz package of Kielbasa sausage, sliced
- ½ cup of bell pepper slices
- 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes
- ¼-1/2 cup of diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- shredded cheese
- avocado slices
- Boil the water, add the rice, cover and allow to absorb water about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the minced herbs and add the jar of pasta sauce, mixing everything together.
- In a skillet, begin cooking the bacon pieces and sliced sausage over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Toss in the bell pepper, diced tomatoes, onion and garlic and continue cooking about 5 more minutes. Turn up heat a little if needed. Once the onions are translucent and the bell pepper is softened, you're ready to go.
- On a plate, spread the rice layer out.
- Top with the sausage and vegetables.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese and add sliced avocados, if desired.