I’m taking some time to update some older recipes. It’s fun to make stuff from the past and enjoy a great recipe and then reshoot for better photos. These Easy Potato Skins are really simple to make and are great for an appetizer, snack or just because you feel like it. I make them as a meal sometimes too, but that’s mostly because we love them that much.
The best part of this recipe is the fact that you can add to it and make it your own. It’s a great jumping off recipe. Make them mexi and fill them with guacamole, make them cheeseburgers and add ground beef, shredded cheese and bacon. There are so many ways to make these your own!
You start by baking the potatoes on a cookie sheet in the oven. While they are baking, I cook the bacon and chop everything up. We love onions in our potato skins so I chopped those up too, but I didn’t include those in the directions below because lots of people don’t like them.
Once the potatoes are cooked, allow them to cool. Once they are cooled, slice them in half and scoop out some of the inside. Brush them with some olive oil on all sides. You’ll then pop them back in the oven under the broiler for about 2 minutes. All of this is down in the printable recipe below so I am not being super detailed. Again, this basic potato skins recipe is so EASY!
Time to fill ’em up with whatever you want. Mostly bacon and shredded cheese but if you want something else, add it in.
It’s time to stick them in the oven and make them bubble. Follow the directions below and you will have tastiest easy potato skins recipe in about 5 more minutes. Pop ’em back in the oven under the broiler and watch them carefully because they will burn fast. You’re looking to melt that cheese and get it nice and bubbly. Pull ’em out, allow them to cool slightly, sprinkle on some green onion and serve them with sour cream! Delish!
A simple snack or appetizer. I often get these ready before the kids get home from school for a fun after school tasty treat. Make these easy potato skins and your kids won’t be hungry again until dinner.
Easy Potato Skins Recipe
- 8 Idaho potatoes, scrubbed and dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 5 to 6 slices cooked, chopped bacon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce each potato with a fork a few times on each side. Place the potatoes on a pan in the oven, and bake about 45 minutes, or until the skins are crisp and the potatoes feel soft.
- Remove from oven and move to a wire rack to cool about 20 minutes.
- Change the oven temperature to broil.
- Slice each Idaho potato in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller, scoop out the potato flesh, leaving about ¼ inch on all sides.
- Brush the potato skins all over with the olive oil and sprinkle the skin side with salt.
- Evenly space the potato halves on a baking sheet and broil about about 2 to 3 minutes or until the skins begin to crisp a little. Do NOT over-broil. Keep watching so they don't burn! I only went about 2 minutes. Possibly a little less.
- Remove from oven and fill each skin with shredded cheese and bacon.
- Return to broiler and broil about 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the broiler.
- Sprinkle chives on top.