This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LoveAmericanHome #CollectiveBias
It has already been about two months since we moved into our new townhouse and while it is coming together slowly, it is not at all decorated. We lived among boxes for weeks on end and I got so tired of seeing them everywhere, that we emptied them wherever their contents could go. During the Fall months, I love to light candles in the evening and I cannot even do that, because I can’t find anything and nothing is where it should be. It is most definitely time to fix that.
The biggest problem we had is that we had too many decorations in one area; too few decorations in another. We also had items that totally don’t belong in various places (a dog leash, a tape dispenser, even a small umbrella tucked behind a frame, keys on the mantle and various mismatched items). It was time to change the way it all looked.
We got started with the bookshelf that sits right next to our TV. We want it to look nice because obviously it is a key piece in the living room and a piece we all stare at our see, regularly.We didn’t need the dog leash to be there, or even the tape dispenser. Next we classified the items by what was what. We had two clocks on the one bookshelf and that didn’t seem necessary. We also had too many photo frames on the shelf at the start, so we grouped all those together and decided where else in our living room they could fit. We changed some frames around, and made a list of new frame sizes we wanted. We had way too many flower bouquets on the shelf and greenery. So we separated and actually got rid of several of them.
We also made a trip to Walmart to pick out various decorations, frames and small pieces we could add. Because I wanted to incorporate candles into our decorations, we looked for new candles for everyday use. We also picked up some that we could incorporate in for the holidays. I was excited to find American Home by Yankee Candle brand at Walmart. There are dozens of scents and colors to match any decor or fit any mood. At our Walmart, they had them spread out around the Home section based on sizes and in some cases, holiday.For everyday, we chose: Clear Mountain Lake, Mountain Escape, Peaceful Beach and Wine Country.
For the upcoming holidays and our holiday decorations we chose: Pumpkin Apple Harvest, Banana Walnut Bread, Shades of Fall and Warm and Happy Home.
Easy Home Decor Ideas to Spruce Up Your Space
- Begin by removing everything from the area you want to spruce up or organize. In our case, we wanted to work with the bookshelves and mantle.
- Classify things together. For instance put all the photos and frames together, all the candles together, all the vases and flowers together, and whatever else you happen to have.
- Remove all unnecessary items. For us, it was definitely the dog leash and tape dispenser, as well as a hidden umbrella that was behind a frame.
- Choose which items you want to put back, and what can go elsewhere (like on our mantle). I wanted our shelves to look a little less cluttered so we chose only three items for each shelf. In our case, it was three of the new American Home by Yankee Candle brand candles we had purchased, a frame for each shelf and then a random item. We had purchased some new matching flowers and fun mason jar vases for a new look. We spread the flowers out across our different shelves and popped the candles throughout our decor. Simple is better for sure.
- Put everything back where you want it to go. Don’t settle. Sit down and look at the shelf, move things around, look again. See how it all looks together. Anything you removed that’s still leftover can be packed up or moved to another room that needs a face lift. We were having a garage sale, so we threw those in the sale.
See, an easy way to revamp how your house looks.
When we incorporated our new pieces, we chose items that could be changed up for the holiday.
- Replace the flowers with colors that match the holiday you are decorating for.
- Switch out American Home by Yankee Candle brand candles with new scents or colors that match the holidays.
Here is a portion of our Fall display.
Those are some easy tips to simply spruce up your space or change your everyday decorations out for the holiday. I love decorating for holidays and a simple switch of American Home by Yankee Candle brand candles to fit the season, holiday or decor is exactly what you need.
Be sure to check out the huge American Home by Yankee Candle brand display at Walmart. I’d love to hear your favorite holiday scent!